[SOLVED] DDR3 (2 Channels & 4 slots)

Fazh

Commendable
Nov 21, 2021
My Mobo is (msi Z77a-G43) it has 4 RAM slots for maximum 32GB (Dual memory channel)
My CPU is i7-3770 (Max # of Memory Channels =2) & 64GB maximum
....................................................................................
right now...iam using corsair vengeance 8gb 2x4gb ddr3 (PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
im using one stick per channel and this gives fast memory speed
now im thinking to buy the same sticks to double the size to 16GB
However,i will be using 2 sticks per channel which affects memory speed as i read somewhere
My question here, how much bad this affects the speed? i will be using Ryujnx emulator
the game im playing runs good but when i move to a new location..it lags a bit to load the graphics. I guess this needs more RAM.
...................................................................................
My rig: Windows 7-64bit (ligit)
CPU: i7-3770
GPU: GTX 1650S
RAM: corsair vengeance 8gb 2x4gb ddr3
Mobo: Msi Z77A-G43
PSU: Cool Master B700 ver.2

Solution
you got your information backward. dual channel is 2 sticks working together to create much faster access between them. a single stick is slower.

if you have 2 sticks now, you should have them in the 2 slots that make up a single "dual channel" usually they are colored the same to make it clear which is which.

you are much better off getting a new matched set of 2 x 8 gb to create the 16 gb you want to have. mixing sticks can work sometimes, not work other times and will pretty much always create issues. running 4 sticks also creates issues that your mobo manual will define for you. often you are limited to speed, single vs dual rank and other restrictions for running all 4 sticks.

do yourself a favor and get a new set of 2 sticks...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you got your information backward. dual channel is 2 sticks working together to create much faster access between them. a single stick is slower.

if you have 2 sticks now, you should have them in the 2 slots that make up a single "dual channel" usually they are colored the same to make it clear which is which.

you are much better off getting a new matched set of 2 x 8 gb to create the 16 gb you want to have. mixing sticks can work sometimes, not work other times and will pretty much always create issues. running 4 sticks also creates issues that your mobo manual will define for you. often you are limited to speed, single vs dual rank and other restrictions for running all 4 sticks.

do yourself a favor and get a new set of 2 sticks and save yourself a lot of grief

Reactions: Fazh
Solution

Fazh

Commendable
Nov 21, 2021

do yourself a favor and get a new set of 2 sticks and save yourself a lot of grief
Thanks for the reply.
i know that 2x8GB is way better than 4x4GB
but selling my current 2x4GB and buying new 2x8GB needs time, work and money. i just locally found 2x4GB (same sticks i have) for around $50
i just saw a video talking about 2 sticks VS 4 sticks performance
in the end it shows 4 sticks makes 10% plus performance
i will send you the youtube link in private

Fazh

Commendable
Nov 21, 2021
i just read in another forum..... i quote ''
using 2 memory sticks or 4 memory sticks. This doesn't make a difference if you have 2 or 4 ... it applies to each individual memory stick.
Conclusion is the same: you won't get extra performance by installing 4 sticks instead of 2, all other things being the same''

what do you think guys? i only care about increasing the size as long as same performance

Last edited:
i just read in another forum..... i quote ''
using 2 memory sticks or 4 memory sticks. This doesn't make a difference if you have 2 or 4 ... it applies to each individual memory stick.
Conclusion is the same: you won't get extra performance by installing 4 sticks instead of 2, all other things being the same''

what do you think guys?
No idea how much of a difference 2 vs 4 is with DDR3 but there can be a difference. There are a few benchmarks around showing this. Here is a comparison I came across a while back for DDR4
View: https://youtu.be/vzmF10NZrdw

Mixing 2 RAM kits is not guaranteed to work without issues. I had issues doing exactly what you want to try. I had 2x4gb 1600mhz DDR3 and added a second kit (same make and model) and it was unstable. Have a look at the odd man out section here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Long as ram timings are same you're in for a likely chance of them working but is a chance you take. I've mixed ram on 2600k system with Gskill Ripjaws and Snipers, 4x 8GB, bought second kit some 8yrs later. They work fine @ 1600 1.5v but cpu is overclocked so maybe the steady voltage played a roll, i wouldn't know for sure.

Ddr3 is apparently more forgiving than 4, there's always an 'if and a 'but.

Fazh

Commendable
Nov 21, 2021
well, the guy i bought from him the 2 sticks from Ebay told me it's not 2x4GB....its actually 2x8GB ...damn i feel lucky man.. now i won't worry anymore about compatibility. i will just sell the 2x4GB i currently have as 16 GB is too much for me to install in my PC..and also 4 sticks means lower speed so :)