[SOLVED] DDR3 4GB and 8GB together?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
So I just got 2 sticks of ram in the mail from eBay. I ordered a pair 4GB Ballistic Sport 1600, but instead of getting 2 x 4 GB, I got one 4GB and one 8GB.

They both seem to work.

I already had two of them, so now I have three 4s and one 8..

What should I do? Can I run 3 sticks of 4GB and one 8GB together? What is my best combination?

GA-Z77X-UD3H
I5-3570K

Gaming computer for my daughter.

Solution
Windows isn't installed on this system yet.

But I just read that Z77 does not support quad channel.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/can-i-quad-channel-ram-with-a-gigabyte-z77-d3h-mobo.1728837/

4-4-4-8

There must be science involved here. What does the math say?

Does adding the 8GB stick to the 4s mess things up or not? Would that totally disable dual channel or could it still run in dual channel?

Is this a pipe dream? Should I just buy another 4GB or if the price is to high, search for an 8GB?
You are thinking too much.
Dual channel doesnt mean it cant support 4 RAM sticks. Dual channel means, it runs optimally with 2 sticks.
For example: You have a total of 20gb RAM with you currently. If you have that...
As long as all the memory works together is all that counts, no blue screens then everything is OK from their.

I guess you could make a point from just running benchmarks but RL performance who cares.
The addition of the 12gb will help the cause rather than limit performance as i was trying to say. Yes dual channel is more optimum and all that, but on such an old platform the delta will be pretty negligible even if measured accurately and definitely not noticeable in anyway.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The addition of the 12gb will help the cause rather than limit performance as i was trying to say. Yes dual channel is more optimum and all that, but on such an old platform the delta will be pretty negligible even if measured accurately and definitely not noticeable in anyway.
Not even sure if just 2 sticks work better from the video the 4 sticks on the dual channel board beat 2 sticks most of the time. That was with AMD that is more memory speed dependent than Intel.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Status
Not open for further replies.