Ddr3 and Ddr4 for gaming.

Marika_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Im building a new pc and everything is done except the type of ddr ram which affect the cpu and mobo i picked. From what i understand, ddr4 is faster than ddr3. Which is higher fps i suppose.

So what i guess is, ddr3 will not be able to play witcher 3, overwatch and the new upcoming 2018 aaa games because of lagging right?

Im building this pc so that i can play those games without lagging...i dont want because of this one small mistake then i need to pay extra cost for new mobo and cpu lol :(

Solution
There is one good reason to make a build using newer ram type (DDR4): if for some reason you need to change your setup in about 2-3 years (because for example your motherboard fails), it will be much easier to reuse DDR4, as future platforms will use it too (we already know SkyLake-X and KabyLake-X will use DDR4). Not so with DDR3 - there will be no new platforms using it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
A good haswell system for example with ddr3 would be more than enough to play the witcher 3 and likely future titles, ram will not impact gaming performance much assuming you have enough of it, the gpu and cpu are far more important. If I was buying a pc today I would use a platform that supports ddr4 ram, but that does not mean an older ddr3 system is incapable of playing the latest games. What are your current specs?

Marika_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Gtx 1050ti and im hoping to go with i5 4670k but then i found out its ddr3. So i wonder if i should get the i5 6600k which is ddr4 but it costs more. And i will get a 8gb ram, 16gb is out of my budget.

Marika_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Yea and thats why i need to choose a proper ram first before i choose my mobo.
Sorry for the wrong "pick solution". I wanted to quote you but i clicked wrong.

There is one good reason to make a build using newer ram type (DDR4): if for some reason you need to change your setup in about 2-3 years (because for example your motherboard fails), it will be much easier to reuse DDR4, as future platforms will use it too (we already know SkyLake-X and KabyLake-X will use DDR4). Not so with DDR3 - there will be no new platforms using it.

Solution

Marika_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Lol i never consider a future upgrade. Then i will go with ddr4 then thx

Good choice.

RAM type should never be the determining factor in your build.