Question DDR3 Compatibility With HyperX Beast...?

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Hi folks, looking to upgrade my system a little further, and today's target is the RAM!

I'm currently running the following;

Processor (CPU)

Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690 (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z97-P: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB HyperX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 4GB)

Ideally I'd like to keep the 8gb already installed and push it further with 2 new sticks... however HyperX Beast is almost impossible to get a hold of for a reasonable price, and I've got conflicting reports of what else would be compatible. Professionally I've been pointed towards HyperX Savage, but it seems Fury would also work with the motherboard? And it might be cheaper just to replace the lot with 16gb of Fury. But would it also work alongside the Beast if I tried to keep them both?

Advice please!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
But would it also work alongside the Beast if I tried to keep them both?
No one will be able to answer this. Unfortunately RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack) as the manufacturing process and materials (silicon/solder paste etc.) changes frequently, and even dust particles in the air can influence the nature of the module.

Making sure they are the same make / model / timings is just a way to try and minimise risk, not eliminate it, and ultimately 2 of the exact same model from 2 different packs could technically completely misbehave with one another. It becomes a little more difficult when you are running a different number of mixed modules too.

Realistically, if you are going to mix modules, just try and make the timings, voltages, speed etc. the same, but in reality, even choosing the exact same model would yield the same risk.

It's for this reason that it's always best practice to buy a whole new pack of RAM. Not saying it never works, but it's a 50/50 gamble. So it might work, it might not. Only way to know is to try it.