DDR3 memory with 32 bit win 7

pissofski

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I was running an Intel Core 2 duo E6750 on a Gigabyte P35DS3R m/b with 2gb Corsair 8500C DDR2 and Windows 7 Pro 32bit and a Gigabyte 9600GT graphics adapter. Recently I upgraded to an Intel i930 on an Asus P6X58D-E m/b with 6GB DDR 3 Kingston 2000 HyperX RAM and a Gigabyte 1536M graphics adapter and kept [temporarily] the Windows 7 Pro 32bit OS. I intend to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro 64bit within a few days, after doing some "house cleaning" on my HDD's! :pt1cable:
My problem is that it is almost impossible to run the memory at anything above 1066Mhz as the system then refuses to boot. My question is "Is running the DDR3 memory [which I understand is 64bit] causing my problems or is there something within the bios that is affecting the system"? Being somewhat amateur the BIOS settings, currently default, are almost arcane to me so not sure if or what I should, perhaps, change.
Help from any knowledgeable person would be greatly appreciated.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
WIN 7 is very sensitive to RAM and some configurations simply wont boot with certain brands of RAM. Sounds like you have a similar problem that shows up when you try and increase the RAM speed. Change the brand of the RAM. I had a laptop that bluescreened when I tried to upgrade it to 4 GB but had no problems once a different type of RAM was put in place.

pissofski

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

Oh, could that be the case? Problem is I was told that this Kingston was compatible, as does the Kingston site. Unfortunately it is neither viable nor, I believe, possible to use/buy a different make of memory stick. Even then would it be guaranteed that the new sticks would work?

Wamphryi

Distinguished

It actually could be the case. Kingston may well be compatible but not necessarly with WIN 7 on that particular board over a particular setting but it may run no problems for Vista or XP or Linux. As I say I my brand new Toshiba blue screened when we changed the RAM out and put in 4GB of the one brand. Put back in the original 2 GB and added another 2 GB of a different brand and away it went no dramas. WIN 7 has a reputation for it apparently. It is more than possible to try other types of RAM. You will know straight away most likely when you try them out. Take the machine to a supplier and try it out on the spot.

Also if you want to avoid the dramas of it all just run your RAM at the speed it can cope with. There is no real world advantage to having the RAM run at higher settings. Check out the various tests on what gains if any you make and you will be surprised.

Did you read my reply ? go to your BIOS and set the RAM settings manually rather than setting them to "Auto" and test again

pissofski

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Well, having undertaken further research in the matter of this problem I found a page on Intel's site which solved the puzzle. :pfff:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029913.htm [Processors - Frequently asked questions]

The relevant section reads:- "What is the maximum frequency for DDR3 memory when used with Intel® Core™ i7-900 processor series?

These processors support DDR3 memory with a maximum frequency of 1066 MHz. If faster DDR3 memory is used (such as 1333 MHz or 1600 MHz), it will be down-clocked to operate at 1066 MHz."

Further to this I found that this applies to all i7 processors.....even the i7 980 Extreme.

So, I could have saved about $20 on my purchase by getting 1066Mhz sticks. :fou:

Thanks to all who had answered my question...........stupid though it may have been. :wahoo: