Cpu Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212x single fan
Gpu : XFX RX480 GTR Black Edition 8 GB
Ram: Adata 8 GB DDR3 1600 BUS Single Stick
Powersupply: Seasonic M12II 520W
HDD: x3 7.2K RPM
SSD: Transcend 240gb
Extra: x4 cooling fans

I'm thinking about upgrading my pc ram.
Right now I'm using a 8gb 1600 single stick Adata ram https://www.adata.com/us/specification/152#
Can I use another 4gb or 8gb stick with it?
And the new ram frequency should be 1600 or I can use a higher frequency one?
Does dual channel memory perform better than single channel? Dunno how much performance will increase on my system if I add a new stick :D

Sagar_20

Distinguished
If you already got 1600 MHz, then there's no point in going for 1600+ MHz. Even if it's available for the same price, you aren't going to improve anything..

Get yourself the same Adata 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Put it in the same color slot and it will start working dual-channel, which you can check through 3rd party apps like Speccy & CPU-Z.

Reactions: rakeshbro

rakeshbro

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2013
If you already got 1600 MHz, then there's no point in going for 1600+ MHz. Even if it's available for the same price, you aren't going to improve anything..
Get yourself the same Adata 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Put it in the same color slot and it will start working dual-channel, which you can check through 3rd party apps like Speccy & CPU-Z.
I can't find Adata 8 gig on the market only 4 gig version available which is low voltage series. Will there be a problem if you get a different brand 1600 mhz ram or the 4gig adata?

Your bottleneck in the system is the CPU not the RAM, unless you are hitting max RAM usage. Even then, another 8 GB of RAM won't help much.
So there is no benefit of dual channel on my current rig?

Even if you found the same make and model RAM there is a small chance of issues. The more different your new RAM is the more likely you are to have issues. Hence why Calvin7 recommended buying a new 2x8gb kit.

There might be a small improvement by going dual channel but on DDR3 it’s very small from all reviews I have seen.

However your cpu is really weak by modern standards. Buying new RAM seems a waste of money when that money could be put to DDR4 for a modern system.

Reactions: rakeshbro

rakeshbro

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2013
Even if you found the same make and model RAM there is a small chance of issues. The more different your new RAM is the more likely you are to have issues. Hence why Calvin7 recommended buying a new 2x8gb kit.

There might be a small improvement by going dual channel but on DDR3 it’s very small from all reviews I have seen.

However your cpu is really weak by modern standards. Buying new RAM seems a waste of money when that money could be put to DDR4 for a modern system.
Buying a new 16 GB DDR3 kit will be a waste of money, although prices of ddr3 have greatly dropped.
So, If you don't want to invest on a completely new kit, get any 1600 MHz RAM.
Whichever costs the least.

Guess than I should save money for a DDR4 rig Upgrade :confused_old: