Question DDR3 ram voltage keeps fluctuating & dropping (1.5v - 1.2v)

Chandubro

Prominent
Jul 23, 2019
Hello everyone,

So i am having this issue where the ram voltage fluctuates a lot. Its keeps dropping from 1.5v to 1.2v & that's when my computer crashes.
I want to stabilize it or at least i want to know which hardware is causing the issue so i can replace it.

Before this issue cropped up i was using this setup with everything on auto or default bios settings with no issues for years.

OMpYt9A.jpg

My DDR3 ram is rated to work at 1.5v at 1600mhz but it doesn't work at that setting for long.

In BIOS with default settings & everything on auto my computer crashes after like 1 min on windows 10. I just get BSOD with random errors like memory management, etc
With manual overclock to 1600mhz at 1.5v my pc works for like 10 mins before freezing & getting bsod.

After searching for a while on this forum & internet i came to conclusion that increasing voltage helps stabilize ram. So after increasing slowing i got to 1.6v a good spot.
My PC worked really well with 1.6v for few weeks but i started getting same bsod & freezing issues now again.

It all started previous month when my PC just kept rebooting like every 2 seconds.
Also on the internet i have came across a post that said the cpu imc might be causing this voltage fluctuation if its damaged but i have tested with IPDT software & it passed the test.
IPDT test screenshot

Currently i am using my PC by increasing DRAM voltage to 1.64v in bios. Its working good for few hours before fluctuating & dropping again to 1.2v & crashing.
CPUID HWMonitor screenshot

Btw i have tried bare bones setup where i use the setup out of the case to rule out shorting issue.
I also tried downgrading the bios to a older version but it does nothing. Current i am at FE version which is the latest.
Tried running 1 ram stick at a time. Tested all 4 ram slots having the same issue with the other stick too.
Tried reseating the CPU too but it didn't have any effect other than lowering the temps a little.

I have tested PSU by using multimeter & all the voltages are okay. Corsair link is also reporting everything okay.
Corsair link screenshot

I have tested RAM with windows memory diagnostic tool with 10 passes & there were no errors.
I also tried them on my friends PC & they were working fine. His PC setup is different so i cannot test motherboard & cpu.

Note - Increasing voltage doesn't increase it to that number. For example : If a set manual voltage to 1.5 i get a reading of 1.35v from bios. So when i set to 1.6v i get a
reading of 1.48v average from bios & CPUID HWMonitor. Average cause it keeps fluctuating up & down.

Sorry for my English if there are any errors as its not my primary language. Also sorry for the long post but i wanted to give as much information as i can.

Last edited:

Chandubro

Prominent
Jul 23, 2019
UPDATE :- I removed & cleaned my motherboard properly again. After reconnecting all the wires & using only 1 ram stick my pc seems to be working fine. When i try to use both sticks the voltage is dropping again leading to crashes & bsod. So currently using only 1 ram stick & i also kept everything on default in bios.

The voltage still get low to 1.35v but its constant so there are no crashes.
It seems like some power delivery system on my motherboard is damaged. So i will probably replace the motherboard in the future or just sell my remaining parts & move to ryzen 😁

Chandubro

Prominent
Jul 23, 2019
UPDATE :- I removed & cleaned the back of CPU using alcohol & started using PC at stock setting. PC never crashed but hard issue shutting down. Mostly took 5 plus minutes to shut. Was using fresh install of windows 10 on SSD. At stock the voltages of ram remained around 1.3 - 1.35v. Used PC for few months & then i finally upgraded to Ryzen 3600 with 3400Mhz ram. Feels very good. No more issues & no slow PC .

Mods :- Please close this thread. I don't know how to do it :D