News DDR3 Supplies ‘Rapidly Shrinking’ as Consumers Hold Onto Older Hardware

InvalidError

Titan
Same thing happened to practically every memory standard ever. Once a standard is a few years out of production, supply of new-in-box parts dries up and shops charge increasingly large premium for access to their remaining new-old-stock for people and companies who do not want to buy used.

Reactions: Krotow

InvalidError

Titan
If you're still using a potentially 11-year-old Sandy Bridge system...it's time to upgrade your system.
Some people don't need any more than that and upgrading before it breaks is mostly a waste of money. I'd still be using my i5-3470 if I didn't upgrade preemptively to avoid being stuck with no working PC for however long it may take to build a replacement.

coolviper777

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
While new Intel cpu's are faster, they are not that much faster. Single threading performance between say a 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ and an equivalent clock speed 11th generation is not that much faster, on the order of maybe 30%. What the newer Intel (and AMD) cpu's have going for them is multi-threaded performance, as they often double the amount of cores.

Regardless, a high-end, expandable older laptop like a Dell M4800 or M6800 with a 4th generation 4-core 8 thread CPU, 32GB of memory, and SSD will be a fast system for all but the most intensive tasks. And the bonus is that it's cheap, the docking stations are cheap. $400 versus $1200 or more.

Newer Dell precision laptops are not nearly as well built and are not nearly as expandable. I used to buy top of the line stuff in the past, but began realizing that I was wasting money. Over the past few years, I've purchased of Ebay: 2 Dell M4800's, a M6700, and a M4700. I also own 3 Dell XPS 13 convertible laptop/tablets (one I bought used). Still running 2 older i5-2500 systems, and two AMD Phenom X4 II systems.

I did break down and upgrade the MB and CPU on my tower workstation to a Z590 MB with an Intel i5-11500, with 32GB of memory, for around $600 total price. Upgrading a desktop is far more affordable than a laptop, and it's nice having 12 cores, versus 4. But getting something like this in a laptop is far more expensive.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Since there are probably millions of users still on sandy and ivy bridge as they are and were some of the most popular ever, it is pretty silly to discount them as useless.
Those systems, especially in i7 form(It is a dirt cheap upgrade now), are still plenty fast to game on and run win10 with no issues

If you're still using a potentially 11-year-old Sandy Bridge system...it's time to upgrade your system.

Considering millions of DDR3 systems still active, pretty much capable to run even Windows 11, current situation in semiconductor market and overall instability in world caused by latest geopolitical shifts, retirement of DDR3 seems prolonged for few years ahead.

Soon we will experience demand for DDR3 from Russia where people under new iron curtain, sanctions and limited access to decent computer tech will try to keep their aging systems in working conditions.

Last edited: