[SOLVED] ddr4 2666mhz processor hmm?? I got 3200 mhz sticks

Jul 5, 2020
Been awhile since I had to make a system so I got these parts and will out them together. Not so fussed on sound yet I got 850w for future mod possibilities. Someone said I just have to fiddle about some setting for the DDR4 mhz or just leave it as it is. Got my own seagate 2tb somewhere knocking about.

Intel Core i9 9900K 3.6GHz 8x Core Processor

Gigabyte Intel Z390 DESIGNARE ATX Motherboard

32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz B

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GAMING

Game Max Eclipse RGB Tempered Glass Gaming Case

850W - Corsair RM850X Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply Japanese capacitors! ^_^

ASUS Xonar AE 7.1 PCI-E Gaming Sound Card

LOGITECH Z213 2.1 Channel Speakers

Solution
So, yeah....

When you first build your system and unless you go into BIOS and enable XMP (extended memory profile) then the system is going to default boot with the memory at 2400 (generally). If the memory and motherboard play right you "should" be able to set an XMP profile at 3200 without having to set any timings manually. Much of the time it works and the RAM manufacturer rating it that way is their nod that it should.
On some motherboards, as you populate RAM slots it will decrease the actual speed the RAM can run. There is typically a chart in the mobo documentation that shows that. It is also not set in stone.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
So, yeah....

When you first build your system and unless you go into BIOS and enable XMP (extended memory profile) then the system is going to default boot with the memory at 2400 (generally). If the memory and motherboard play right you "should" be able to set an XMP profile at 3200 without having to set any timings manually. Much of the time it works and the RAM manufacturer rating it that way is their nod that it should.
On some motherboards, as you populate RAM slots it will decrease the actual speed the RAM can run. There is typically a chart in the mobo documentation that shows that. It is also not set in stone.

Reactions: vMax
Solution