[SOLVED] DDR4-3000MHz on Ryzen 3000 Series

Jun 28, 2019
Doubt there's any threads on this, but considering that the specifications on the Ryzen 3000 series indicates a system memory spec of DDR4-3200MHz,
will I be able to use the CPU with DDR4-3000MHz modules with the XMP Profiles with D.O.C.P. or no?

Want to confirm this as soon as possible, thanks

Solution
That's what I'm worried about, and yes, the 3000MHz Kit has two sticks which I bought for $59.99 ($74.99 originally until I added a $15 reward cert.), I don't want to put up with performance hits when I upgrade from an old FX-8350 (with a bad encoder when recording/streaming) and regret making poor purchase decisions. But I appreciate the help and just hope they actually show differences between the frequencies on the Ryzen 3000 very soon.
Are you buying a X570 board or going with a B450/X470?

If the X570 then you may want to see what the support is on the board, for the B450/X470 I would go 3200mhz.

Iv'e done some testing myself with Ryzen (2600) going between 2133 & 3200 on the Division 2. Oddly enough 2133 actually gave me...

WildCard999

Titan
You can always use slower memory for Ryzen but considering the performance impact that memory speeds play on Ryzen then 3200mhz (or faster depending on MB support) would be ideal. That being said if the price difference between 3000 & 3200 is quite large or you already have 3000mhz memory then I wouldn't bother getting 3200mhz unless you upgrade to a larger kit.

Jun 28, 2019
I had already brought 3000MHz Modules that were on sale, but was curious to find out with the latest specifications on the Ryzen Zen 2 series (3000). And our Best Buy Retailer is rather short on 3200MHz modules right now. Since I had purchased them on the 15th due to a sale, not sure if I should consider refunding them and ordering them online instead.

WildCard999

Titan
I had already brought 3000MHz Modules that were on sale, but was curious to find out with the latest specifications on the Ryzen Zen 2 series (3000). And our Best Buy Retailer is rather short on 3200MHz modules right now. Since I had purchased them on the 15th due to a sale, not sure if I should consider refunding them and ordering them online instead.
We won't know the exact impact slower kits will have on 3rd gen until it's released but for the first & second gen the largest difference we saw in gaming was roughly 3-5 FPS between 3000/3200 at the most. There was another thread (if I can find it) that was wondering about the performance impact on Ryzen over 3200mhz as there are second gen boards that support up to 3600 but apparently the increase was very minimal considering the massive increase in price. As long as the kit you bought was two sticks and the price was really good then I'd keep it for now (I think BB has a 15 day return policy). If it wasn't much cheaper then the 3200 kit then return and grab the faster kit.

Jun 28, 2019
We won't know the exact impact slower kits will have on 3rd gen until it's released but for the first & second gen the largest difference we saw in gaming was roughly 3-5 FPS between 3000/3200 at the most. There was another thread (if I can find it) that was wondering about the performance impact on Ryzen over 3200mhz as there are second gen boards that support up to 3600 but apparently the increase was very minimal considering the massive increase in price. As long as the kit you bought was two sticks and the price was really good then I'd keep it for now (I think BB has a 15 day return policy). If it wasn't much cheaper then the 3200 kit then return and grab the faster kit.

That's what I'm worried about, and yes, the 3000MHz Kit has two sticks which I bought for $59.99 ($74.99 originally until I added a $15 reward cert.), I don't want to put up with performance hits when I upgrade from an old FX-8350 (with a bad encoder when recording/streaming) and regret making poor purchase decisions. But I appreciate the help and just hope they actually show differences between the frequencies on the Ryzen 3000 very soon.

WildCard999

Titan

If the X570 then you may want to see what the support is on the board, for the B450/X470 I would go 3200mhz.

Iv'e done some testing myself with Ryzen (2600) going between 2133 & 3200 on the Division 2. Oddly enough 2133 actually gave me slightly higher FPS but it was all over the place and the dips were often and would drop like 20 FPS. 3200 had slightly lower FPS but no drops and stable FPS so even if the FPS doesn't improve much the gaming experience should be much smoother. The problem is that there is really no definitive answer to what is best, as with the Division 2 the difference was minimal besides the drops but in Destiny 2 the difference was like 25 FPS.

Solution
Jun 28, 2019

Iv'e done some testing myself with Ryzen (2600) going between 2133 & 3200 on the Division 2. Oddly enough 2133 actually gave me slightly higher FPS but it was all over the place and the dips were often and would drop like 20 FPS. 3200 had slightly lower FPS but no drops and stable FPS so even if the FPS doesn't improve much the gaming experience should be much smoother. The problem is that there is really no definitive answer to what is best, as with the Division 2 the difference was minimal besides the drops but in Destiny 2 the difference was like 25 FPS.

Most likely a B450 since I'm on a tight budget for the occasion, and may go with the 3600 or 3600X on this part. Considering that, I'll likely move towards a refund and purchase the 3200MHz modules just to be safe. I want to make sure that I have a reasonable and stable experience when I upgrade on that part, making sure that this upgrade is worth it.

WildCard999

Titan
Most likely a B450 since I'm on a tight budget for the occasion, and may go with the 3600 or 3600X on this part. Considering that, I'll likely move towards a refund and purchase the 3200MHz modules just to be safe. I want to make sure that I have a reasonable and stable experience when I upgrade on that part, making sure that this upgrade is worth it.
Don't worry, either of those CPU's are going to be a massive improvement over that FX 8350.

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks for clearing any doubts and questions that I had, I'll follow up and move towards refunding the 3000MHz and move towards 3200MHz from here on out.
Sounds good, if memory serves me correctly BB should credit back your $15 reward as well to the account. 3rd gen release is July 7th so we should see a review here on TH soon afterwards. One last thing, make sure the B450 motherboard you buy that the BIOS is up to date or it won't work with the 3rd gen CPU's. You can usually find out by contacting the retailer.