[SOLVED] DDR4-3000MHz stuck on DDR4-2133MHz

GlacierHusky

Reputable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi all,

DDR4 3000 RAM stuck on 2133mhz with XMP Profile- AS Rock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 Motherboard

3.5 years ago, I upgraded my motherboard, ram and CPU.

BIOS Version: P2.40

Motherboard: AS Rock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 Motherboard

RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Model TLGD416G3000HC16CDC01

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (Summit Ridge)

In the BIOS main screen in A2 and B2 the RAM shows up as (DDR4-2133). I have already set the XMP 2.0 Profile 1, but that didn't change the (DDR4-2133) on the Main Screen. When I try to manually change the DRAM Frequency to anything above "2133", the computer will crash. Pictures are attached. I have CPU-Z installed, and that confirms it is running at 2133Mhz.

Should I be updating my BIOS, would that fix the problem? I took a quick look at memory compatibility here http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#Memory and it looks like my Team RAM isn't supported at that speed. Would that be the reason it only shows up at 2133 MHz? I initially used PcPartPicker to choose the RAM, and it said was compatible with this motherboard. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn....=a2f364d15dbba1a8bac4ef19987ec814&oe=608CC903 - XMP profile enabled- computer will crash if ram is manually set above 2133 Mhz

https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn....=dd3766ff6a28074ae08474ca190baa49&oe=608C8F24 - BIOS main screen

https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn....=99fcd78a3134fa60d663bd1eb4b1d335&oe=608E2947- Link of CPU-Z speed and RAM

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The motherboard chipset drivers are not part of windows. What windows has is a generic driver, such as the basic ssd driver that's dated from 2006. That covers many SSDs, but does not come close to allowing a Samsung full performance.

Windows drivers try and take precedence due to version numbers etc, but the reality is they are just enough to allow functionality within windows, not full functionality outside of windows. Fullscreen gaming uses OpenGL, it's only Windowed Fullscreen that uses DirectX, so there are differences not only in video settings, but audio, Lan etc. It's the motherboard chipset specific drivers that have to bridge the gap and fill in where Microsoft leaves off.

It's even to the point where nvidia is supplying...

Lutfij

Titan
The way I see it, since you have a warning message stated on ASRock's support site for Summit Ridge processors, here;
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS
the latest BIOS you can upgrade to is P5.8 but since you're on P2.4, you should gradually work your way to the 5.80. Keep in mind to update chipset drivers between BIOS updates(as stated on the BIOS page).

You might need a tall cup of coffee or your favorite beverage to get you through that long lineup of BIOS. Better have a piece of paper and then not the BIOS versions progress and when you need to update chipset drivers before moving onto the next BIOS update.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3000MHz is an oddball. All ram follows patterns described way back in the dark ages and new ram is nothing more than a simply multiplier of that ancient ram. 3200MHz = 266MHz x 12 multiplier. 2933MHz = 266MHz x 11 multiplier.

Many motherboards do not have or do not use the correct 200MHz x 15 multiplier to get 3000MHz stable.

I'd suggest that you set xmp (that sets the timings and subtimings) but manually change the frequency to 2933MHz instead of allowing the Auto setting of 3000MHz in bios. Also make sure to run through the bios OC sections and look for fclock and manually set that for 1466/1467 instead of allowing the preset xmp value of 1500.

And yes, when looking at bios revisions make very sure to read the notes attached. Some updates you can skip, but many are required install first before moving on. Simply installing the latest will most definitely brick the motherboard. Just make sure to Stop when it says to go no further unless using a 3 series cpu etc.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The chipset drivers are something of windows, see no point of reinstalling the latest over and over, should imo be enough to update ones to the latest before those bios updates and that would be enough.

Think also he can skip some bios versions, think from what he has he can go to,

1 => 3.40
2 => 5.40
3 => 5.80

Would see what that (5.80) brings since higher nr bios are not recommended with the cpu he uses. This however makes me wonder how to update to the latest when using that 1600, guess they mean that after 5.40 you better use Ryzen 3000 series.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The motherboard chipset drivers are not part of windows. What windows has is a generic driver, such as the basic ssd driver that's dated from 2006. That covers many SSDs, but does not come close to allowing a Samsung full performance.

Windows drivers try and take precedence due to version numbers etc, but the reality is they are just enough to allow functionality within windows, not full functionality outside of windows. Fullscreen gaming uses OpenGL, it's only Windowed Fullscreen that uses DirectX, so there are differences not only in video settings, but audio, Lan etc. It's the motherboard chipset specific drivers that have to bridge the gap and fill in where Microsoft leaves off.

It's even to the point where nvidia is supplying Microsoft it's WHQL base drivers for integration into windows, but several companies like Realtek and ASMedia and Samsung, ASR and Asus aren't so forthcoming with driver releases for Windows use, preferring to maintain independent and proprietary.

I wouldn't mind at all if Asus released FanXpert as windows native, but they will not do that, regardless of how many people it would benefit having decent fan control at your fingertips.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh. Yes. Correct. When installed, they get deposited into windows/drivers folder and windows at boot loads them in the boot process. Unfortunately, every time you reinstall/reset windows, it wipes that folder clean, return to empty default.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Oh. Yes. Correct. When installed, they get deposited into windows/drivers folder and windows at boot loads them in the boot process. Unfortunately, every time you reinstall/reset windows, it wipes that folder clean, return to empty default.
Yes but he will be only updating bios, not reinstalling windows so installing the latest drivers once before updating those bios will be enough.

GlacierHusky

Reputable
Nov 30, 2019
Hey everyone. Thanks for all your responses. Soo I was going to do a BIOS update, but I decided to check the QVL list of the Vulcan Ram that I bought(should of done this when I bought it, but I was a noob who didn't know any better). It looks like the RAM I have (DDR4 3000 8GB) is listed as a "triangle" icon for my particular motherboard (Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ). Does anyone have any idea what this means? Link to QVL is below:
https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/catalog/act.php?act=1&index_id=66

Also, the AMD website shows that the Ryzen 5 1600 can only support memory up to 2667MHz anyways. Link: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1600

Would it still be worth trying the BIOS update anyways to get my ram from 2133 to 2667Mhz?