DDR4 memory scam in Palit GT 1030

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Hey guys. I made a terrible mistake. Being in a hurry, i accidentally bought the DDR4 Palit GT 1030 over DDR5. As it was the cheapest option i had, i didn't take the trouble to loop up the details on the box. Actually the palit box doesn't anywhere mention the memory type but a little sticker over it says DDR4 but unfortunately i got to know this after i got back home. Even before making purchase i had some negative vibe about it because it looked a bit smaller than the regular card. Now i regret for the same. After some research i find that in terms of performance it has 5% less clock speeds and 1/3 the memory bandwidth. I don't know how much of a degrade it can make but it's horrifying me. Cause i am upgrading from a DDR5 GT 730. Should i return it? I know it's my fault. The official website clearly says it has two variants but still. Palit brand is itself hiding it from the box moreover they do not even provide low profile brackets which is something that's necessary for a card like this.

Solution
I'm not sure how this is a scam. The sticker on the box conveyed the information.

Regardless, you should return it and get the better version.

If you can just return it and get the better version.

Sagar_20

Distinguished

Since where i bought it from doesn't offer refunds i had to replace it with a ddr5 model from the same brand however at the cost of a gigabyte. Don't know how worse the DDR4 would've been. On paper DDR5 has 3x the memory bandwidth but according to a website their performance are 100% and 106%. Again, i'm not sure how authentic that information is.

I consider this a scam because the DDR5 model clearly says 2GB DDR5 on box however DDR4 mentions nothing. If you look at the sticker along the edge or the back side of the graphics card, only then you can tell it's DDR4. Besides this, DDR4 is smaller than DDR5 but that's not something you can figure at first sight. Chances are most people don't even know there exists a DDR4 version of GT 1030 and it's most commonly Palit.

Anyway, switching to DDR5 GT 1030 from DDR5 GT 730 has been a wonderful experience. I could never believe the WEI score of graphics in my Windows 7 64 bit PC would ever exceed that of RAM or CPU which is 7.4 and 7.5 but it happened. Microsoft windows now rates both graphics and gaming graphics 7.7 before it was 7 with the GT 730.

DSzymborski

Titan

A 1030 *is* a significant upgrade from a 730, so I'm glad you're having a good experience with it. A lot more new games are playable at reasonable settings with the 1030. That's even with the lesser RAM; memory bandwidth isn't really the limiting factor on low-end GPUs in most cases.