[SOLVED] DDR4 Mixing (2x4-2133MHz & 1x16-2400MHz)

Oct 23, 2019
Hello is it okay to use 3 memory sticks?

I'm aware that 2400MHz will not use full speed comparing to the other sticks at 2133Mhz, I want to know if using this new ram stick (G.Skill DDR4-2400MHz-16GB) will harm my computer of not be worth at all. My purchase was mainly in getting and extra GB.

MB: MSI - B250M BAZOOKA (MS-7A70)

G.Skill DDR4-2133MHz-4GB
G.Skill DDR4-2133MHz-4GB
* G.Skill DDR4-2400MHz-16GB

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

It will not "physically" harm your system. However the risks you should be aware of:
  • mixed RAM is not guaranteed compatibility, so even if you get more RAM that is the exact same model, they might not behave well with one another, if play with each other at all.
  • The new RAM module will likely downclock to the other RAM modules.
  • Adding in a third module can sometimes hinder performance as you will be running 2 RAM modules in a single channel. As opposed to one module in each channel running in dual channel.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

It will not "physically" harm your system. However the risks you should be aware of:
  • mixed RAM is not guaranteed compatibility, so even if you get more RAM that is the exact same model, they might not behave well with one another, if play with each other at all.
  • The new RAM module will likely downclock to the other RAM modules.
  • Adding in a third module can sometimes hinder performance as you will be running 2 RAM modules in a single channel. As opposed to one module in each channel running in dual channel.

Reactions: zTe9
Solution