ddr4 pins compatibility

Oct 7, 2018
hi guys! i am trying to build my own computer and i am fine with my cpu, gpu and motherboard but i am now in my memory ram so, i have a problem because i don't know if every ddr4 memory has the same pin? (you know the hole in the middle of them) please correct me if there is a correct terms for them. so the question is? if i buy a ddr4 memory? is it guarantee that it is compatible as long as a motherboard is compatible to a ddr4 memory? any comment will be appreciated guys! thanks a lot!.

Solution
the middle section without pins is called the key/tab. there are two kinds of DDR4 RAM, standard and SO-dimm (laptop/embedded) memory. the key is standard across types of RAM. all standard DDR4 will have the same key. all SO-dimm ddr4 will be pinned the same
if the motherboard socket calls for standard DDR4, any standard DDR4 will fit.

SO-dimm - Small Outline Dual inline memory module

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the middle section without pins is called the key/tab. there are two kinds of DDR4 RAM, standard and SO-dimm (laptop/embedded) memory. the key is standard across types of RAM. all standard DDR4 will have the same key. all SO-dimm ddr4 will be pinned the same
if the motherboard socket calls for standard DDR4, any standard DDR4 will fit.

SO-dimm - Small Outline Dual inline memory module

Solution
You also need to understand the speed of the RAM. Some RAM is faster than others. For exampler you can have DDR4 2666. You also have DDR4 3200. You want to match the speed of your RAM to make it work the best.

You also have what is called the TIMINGS of the ram. Try to match the timings of the RAM up as much as possible as well. You can have anything like a DDR4 2666 15-15-15-35 or a DDR4 16-18-18-38.

DDR4 comes in many different varieties, so you must know what you are buying.

Oct 7, 2018
wow i'm blown away, i did not know that there is a timing to consider. i only know about the ddr types and mhz speed?
i am sorry but can you confirm if this memory is compatible to my motherboard?
gskill Trident Z RGB F4-2400C15D-16GTZR
and my motherboard is asus strix z270f thank you so much sir!

That ram should work with your motherboard. There is always a possibility that some RAM may not work with certain motherboards. You can check ASUS's website and they should have a memory compatibility list for your motherboard.

Oct 7, 2018
i don't know if i can ask this different topic here but this is still related to my pc. can you tell me if there is something wrong with my set up?
gpu gtx titan
cpu i7-7700k
case nzxt 340 elite hyper beast
memory stated before ( planning to buy)
psu 650 watts
is there something wrong with that?
i still need to buy hdd and do i really need ssd?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
a titan and a 7 series. Which 650W power supply do you have running all this?

The memory QVL is a great resource, but it is not the end all be all of compatibility. they (ASUS) can only test modules that they have available before the motherboard is released. they test a wide array of makers and speeds as an assurance of broad compatibility. newer modules released after the motherboard will work but cannot be on the QVL.
while the memory listed above is not on the list I'm almost positive it will work.

the timings come into play when you add another stick to the mix. This is the reason matched pairs of RAM are tested and sold together, they will work together - period.
Mixing RAM from differing makers and even RAM 1 number apart by serial number did not work together for me.
if you buy RAM do not buy a single stick, pay a bit more for a matched set and you can take advantage of dual channel memory

Oct 7, 2018
Evga 650 watts,
i see, so they haven't tested those latest model or they have not updated their data on the internet regarding on the memory compatibility. so because of that i am looking for double sticks but i don't know what you mean by DCM? dual channel memory, can you give me an idea about that?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
which EVGA, they make a few stinkers?

Dual channel memory in a nutshell. greatly simplified.
each memory stick is your aunt trying to call you on the phone, single channel is one at a time. aunt May or aunt Beth bot not both. you are the CPU. Beth can give you information, then May. in dual channel memory the CPU has two phone lines. one for each ear so May AND Beth can both talk to you simultaneously. each memory stick has a dedicated channel to the CPU. no waiting for the other, no talking over each other, just efficiency.
Quad channel memory is the same concept but doubled.

in certain scenarios dual channel memory can offer a significant boost in performance.