May 20, 2020
Hello,

I Have a MAXIMUS HERO XI MB and 2 x Corsair Vengeance PRO 8gb 2666mhz ram and 2 x Corsair Vengeance PRO 16gb 3000mhz Ram

I currently have them set up like this;

DIMM A1 -16GB 3000mhz
DIMMA2 - 16GB 3000mhz
DIMMB1 - 8GB 3000mhz
DIMMB2 - 8GB 3000mhz

is this the best way to have them set up? or should i change them around? i understand that the 3000mhz will be running at the lower 8gb mhz, although at the moment this is the way it is until i can purchase another 3000mhz

If you need anymore info from me let me know

Thanks

Ben

Solution
Change them around. You want the same amount of ram per channel (channel A and B), and with that config you have 32GB on one channel and 16GB on the other. this will cause stuttering and performance loss once you use more than 16GB. I'd go:
16GB
8GB
16GB
8GB

And as for mixing frequencies, theres a good chance it just wont work, but if it does, it will set them both to 2666Mhz and the looser set of timings of the two most likely. I wouldnt really recommend mixing kits like that unless you really need 48GB of ram, and are willing to tweak the ram if necessary.
Change them around. You want the same amount of ram per channel (channel A and B), and with that config you have 32GB on one channel and 16GB on the other. this will cause stuttering and performance loss once you use more than 16GB. I'd go:
16GB
8GB
16GB
8GB

And as for mixing frequencies, theres a good chance it just wont work, but if it does, it will set them both to 2666Mhz and the looser set of timings of the two most likely. I wouldnt really recommend mixing kits like that unless you really need 48GB of ram, and are willing to tweak the ram if necessary.

Reactions: BBenj
Solution
May 20, 2020
16GB
8GB
16GB
8GB

Thank you for the help!

I have just changed them around now.... I was thinking is it even worth using the 2x8gb Im only using them because i have them lying around... or i could just sell them and put it to the cost of another 2 sticks of 16gb 3000mhz

Thank you for the help!

I have just changed them around now.... I was thinking is it even worth using the 2x8gb Im only using them because i have them lying around... or i could just sell them and put it to the cost of another 2 sticks of 16gb 3000mhz
Depends what you're doing. For just gaming, 32GB is more than enough. For stuff like 3D Rendering and some CAD, the extra ram can help though.