Question Ddr4 Ram overclocking timings auto or manual

AMDynamic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2016
Hi,

I've just overclocked my ram ddr4 from 2400mhz to 2933mhz with voltage upped to 1.35v from 1.20v

The timings I left it as auto as I couldn't find guides on what numbers to input for timings. Am I better with this setup auto or adjust the timing numbers? I plan to have another go when I finish work.

The ram is gskill ripjaws V and motherboard is gigabyte z270p d3

Thanks

Usually it is best to use a XMP profile that is imbedded in the ram stick.
The ram vendor has tested using the xmp profile.
If you are lucky, you may be able to overclock higher than the specified speed, but do not count on it.
I would stick with whatever is stable.

AMDynamic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2016
Usually it is best to use a XMP profile that is imbedded in the ram stick.
The ram vendor has tested using the xmp profile.
If you are lucky, you may be able to overclock higher than the specified speed, but do not count on it.
I would stick with whatever is stable.

It came as 2400 and had its own xmp profile. What I've done is disabled that and clocked it higher, I saw improvement in crowded area in hitman 1 maracesh level just wondered if its better to manually adjust timings

AMDynamic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2016
What model RAM? What are the current AUTO timings?

They are a set of ripjaws V. Doing the normal xmp profile to get them to 2400 the timings were 20 20 20 can't remember the 4rth digit.

I went back into bios and set it to 16 16 16 36 and it seems to give very good performance. Shal I stick with them numbers or can I adjust them for better performance