DDR4 Ram Speeds and Intel Core i7 High End Desktop Processors

Jackson_10

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Basically, It seems that some higher frequency Dominator Platinum RAM is significantly cheaper than lower frequencies (bizarre or what?), and I was wondering how far I can go above recommended limits without sacrificing system stability.

The Intel Core i7 High End Desktop Processors include the 6800K, 6850K, 6900K and the 6950X. All of these have recommended maximum RAM frequencies of 2400 (DDR4-2400, as specified by Intel ARK (Link Here)

Solution
They are new chips, so you would be an early test. The previous generation had DDR4 2133 listed as the recommendation, for reference, and plenty of people were running much faster memory.

I see no reason you couldn't buy the maximum available speed. You may not be able to reach those speeds, but that doesn't really matter. You are already looking at what is effectively overclocked memory. Whatever speed that is stable with that CPU and that memory is what you can get.

If you are just looking to get a little extra performance with a simple XMP setting, then you probably want to stick to 3000 or below. I believe the current sweet spot of latency/bandwidth/price is DDR4 2666 with a CL of 15.

Jackson_10

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

This is slightly inapplicable as X99 chipset motherboards support over DDR4-2400. My question is about Processors and DDR4 frequencies, and I can change what motherboard I intend to buy to incorporate that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They are new chips, so you would be an early test. The previous generation had DDR4 2133 listed as the recommendation, for reference, and plenty of people were running much faster memory.

I see no reason you couldn't buy the maximum available speed. You may not be able to reach those speeds, but that doesn't really matter. You are already looking at what is effectively overclocked memory. Whatever speed that is stable with that CPU and that memory is what you can get.

If you are just looking to get a little extra performance with a simple XMP setting, then you probably want to stick to 3000 or below. I believe the current sweet spot of latency/bandwidth/price is DDR4 2666 with a CL of 15.

Solution