DDR4 vs DDR3 SETUP

Solution

DDR4 as it's the future. DDR3 will be phased out in time.
Also running Skylake on DDR3 is not recommended.

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
It is pretty much irrelevant. Either 3 or 4 run at the same speeds. The platform is more important. 4 runs at a little lower voltage ans saves a little bit if power. This is important when one has a data center with 500,000 + servers. In a couple of years things like XPoint will make much of the DDR memory a thing of the past.
Get what you like and suits your needs today.
W.P.

XPoint will never replace RAM man. it has neither teh reliability nor the speed. Both are inbetween RAM and NAND. SO it will work as another distinct, inbetween layer.

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
And just how do you know this? You might be surprised at what is coming soon, maybe. If DDR4 is the future how come I've had it for a year already? Nothing that is current is the future and none of us has a crystal ball to see what the future will bring. That is just like that idiotic term future proofing. Right.
W.P.

intel itself has positioned XPoint nowhere near the RAM stack..

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
XPoint, couple of years HA. Its going to take quite a bit longer than a couple of years to replace DRAM technology with something like that.

Now back to the original question because none of the above answers were clear to someone who might not have a great understanding of this.

zerolima, if you are buying a Skylake Intel based motherboard you want only to go with DDR4. While DDR3 boards are available the higher voltage will wear out the memory controller faster, they are not recommended to use, especially if you are buying new. The only other boards that support DDR4 now are X99 if you are going the more expensive enthusiast route.

InvalidError

Titan

There is future-proofing and then there is plain being dumb. Most questions about future-proofing fall in the second category as OPs who worry the most about "future-proofing" appear to have no clue about the fact that CPUs have been stagnant for the past five years.

My i5-3470 is the result of reasonable future-proofing: I had no immediate need for more than an i3 (I was still mostly happy with my C2D-E8400 performance-wise) but got an i5 anyway because I strongly suspected I would need it sooner or later. A relatively inexpensive ($60) insurance policy to extend the $470 CPU+MoBo+RAM combo's useful life by 2-3 extra years and I get to have two extra cores available, just in case I need them earlier and more often than expected.

Yup. The q6600 i got in 2007 lasted me until 2012 at stock speeds(didn't win teh chip lottery at all on that one). It was way worth having less single threaded performance as oppeset to an 3.2 dual core i could have gotten for around teh same money.

TRENDING THREADS