DDR400 RAM Upgrade Help

lalala

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I bought an extra 512MB DDR400 today for my old rig so it will be 1GB. Before, its DDR Memory Frequency is running at 400MHz (effectively @200MHz), but after I put the second stick, the frequency slowed down to 320MHz (effectively 160MHz). I want it back to the normal frequency.

The two stick have different manufacturers. I don't know if that is the cause. In addition, their CAS Latency doesn't match (@200MHz).

I usually do my research before I post here (and by now I'm desperate lol). I've tried all sorts of guides but nothing. Anyone would like to give me a little bit of help here? :lol:

Here's a view of my old rig:
73pap1.jpg
xc4v3p.jpg

k03iip.jpg

(Nevermind the graphics card, I'm using a spare 'cause the original card is under repair :D)

33kbvrt.jpg

4rxseu.jpg
91a3c7.jpg

(The stick I bought recently is on the left, the old one is on the right)

In BIOS try setting the memory frequency to 400 mhz. BIOS is set to default or SPD memory frequency and defaults memory speed to what you are experiencing. Mixing RAM and RAM speeds is a trial and error kind of thing. It's possible your combination of DIMMS may not run at 400 mhz. on your system. At least try and match RAM speed and timings if not same MFG. HTH.

lalala

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
That's what I'm afraid of when I was in the store buying the stick, that my mobo will probably do less than 400MHz if the sticks have different manufacturers. I already set the memory frequency at 400MHz in BIOS, I even set the timings (all possible combinations) but it persists.

If I buy another 512MB stick identical to the one I bought recently, would that solve my problem? I mean 100%? Thanks btw...

I've found emailing technical support at the RAM mfg. often gets an answer for a specific question I have. You might try asking your RAM manufacturer specifically why you are failing to run two dimms at 400 mhz. and what dimms may work with what you have. I suspect they will tell you to try and match speed and timings with what you have if you can not find the exact match for it.