ddr400 single channel,dual channel difference?

iamtheone

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
I have s754 msi platinum fsr motherboard with athlon64 4000 mobile processor,2g ocz platinum single channel ddr400 memory. cpu does not support dual channel memory. Also have gecube 1950xt 256mg agp so I have went about as far as I can go up-grading this older system. As far as game playing goes , am I at a big dis-advantage without dual channel memory?

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
As far as I know (someone correct me if I'm wrong plz) the difference between single and dual channel acounts for about a 5% performance, so I don't think you are at disadvantage because of ram not being dual channel.

joex444

Distinguished
You've taken that system to its upper limit, if you think its slow then you have no choice but to upgrade.

However, I don't think it should be slow. Your gfx card is still very good, upgrading the CPU won't account for much speed and the dual channel wouldn't add anything really noticeable. It wouldn't allow you to bump up a resolution or add more detail (AA, AF, Very high settings, etc), it would just increase your frame rate by some innoticeable amount at the same settings.