[SOLVED] DDR4_B1 slot not recognizing the module

jsgm87

Honorable
May 11, 2016
Long story short, my DDR4_B1 slot only recognize the module if A1, C1, D1 and A2 have modules too. Once I add another module or remove any of the previous ones, B1 appears empty.

It all started a week ago when a lighting damaged my PSU, so I had to buy a new one which I received and installed today. However, the computer only stayed on for about 30 seconds and then turned off. So I decided to removed all 8 memory modules but A1. This time the PC didn't turned off after 30 secs. Then I added B1 but noted that this last module appeared as empty in UEFI. The problem persisted after adding C1 and D1. However, after adding A2 to the party, B2 became instantly recognized. Now all 5 modules were working! I tried adding one more, B2, but then B1 appeared empty again. Weird, ah?

These are my specs:

G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 8GB (x8)
AsRock x99 Extreme4
Intel Core i7 5960x
Noctua NH-D15S
Asus Strix 980ti
Corsair rm750x

Last edited:
Solution
The ram timings would've been reset.
But I think bios only looks to see what hardware there is and if it's working OK.
So it wouldn't do anything physically to the slot. But maybe some playing with circuits somewhere. I don't know enough about it.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
So if you try one slot at a time, then the ram is not recognised in B1 only?
And it's recognised in every other slot?
Does this happen with every stick?
Does B1 slot have any problems where the stick can't sit down properly in it?
eg the lock doesn't unlock or there's something stuck in the slot?
If you fill all the slots (as you will do with 8 sticks) is all the ram seen?

jsgm87

Honorable
May 11, 2016
So if you try one slot at a time, then the ram is not recognised in B1 only?
I haven't tried using B1 only because after reading the Mobo user guide, I understood modules could only be used in this order: A1, B1, C1, D1, A2, B2, C2, D2.

That B1 module works on at least one other slot. Haven't tried it on all slots.

I have only used two different sticks on that B1 slot. They both work only under the circumstances described in my first post. Once I add or remove a slot, B1 becomes unrecognized.

No, I don't see any problem.

Only time I tried to use all 8 slots was after I installed the new PSU. It turned on for 30 secs and then turned off. I decided to use only 5 sticks for now so I could use the PC and get some help.

I'll do more tests tomorrow, and see what happens in each case you posed. Then I'll come back and update my answer.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I'd talk to ASRock with a view to doing a RMA. There's something screwy going on.
I'm not sure if Tom's still has a moderator who is really good at ram issues.

Is the ram listed on the motherboard memory QVL?

jsgm87

Honorable
May 11, 2016
I'd talk to ASRock with a view to doing a RMA. There's something screwy going on.
I'm not sure if Tom's still has a moderator who is really good at ram issues.

Is the ram listed on the motherboard memory QVL?
Unfortunately my Mobo is like 5 years old now, so I don't think I can do a returning. Regarding the memory sticks, I don't remember whether they were on the list of supported modules for this mobo. They had been working flawlessly all these years though. The issue arose after all this lighting thing I mentioned in my first post.

Now, I just managed to make all modules to work again. What I did was to remove the CMOS battery for 10 mins or so and then put it back in. Still need to check if this is the final solution.

Guys, Any thought about why this seemed to solve the issue?

Last edited:

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
The ram timings would've been reset.
But I think bios only looks to see what hardware there is and if it's working OK.
So it wouldn't do anything physically to the slot. But maybe some playing with circuits somewhere. I don't know enough about it.

Solution