Question DDR5 5600mhz vs 6200mhz.

ceka6697

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Hello. I need advice. Should I pay an extra 70$ for 6200mhz or 5600 is fine? Both versions C36.(corsair dominator) I didn't really find any comparison on the internet.

This is a "is it worth it" question which are highly personal decisions.

Unless you are on a tight budget where 70 dollars is quite important, I'd get the one that I'd be least likely to regret.

Which would that be for you?

The chance of you personally being able to detect the difference in actual use is extremely small, but that isn't what usually drives decisions of this type.

ceka6697

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
Hello. I need advice. Should I pay an extra 70$ for 6200mhz or 5600 is fine? Both versions C36.(corsair dominator) I didn't really find any comparison on the internet.

ceka6697

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
I personally wouldn't spend the premium of DDR5 to begin with. Twice the price, for half the capacity, of a good ddr4 kit is a bit too much. If you insist on DDR5, consult your motherboard's QVL list for memory compatibility. I don't believe the extra speed will do much for you though. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ddr5-memory-performance-scaling/
My motherboard support up to 6400mhz , I am just curious , is spending 70$ (already 50$) worth it . I already bought 12900k and a motherboard so the only thing what I need to buy RAM

logainofhades

Titan
Supported speed means nothing with 12th gen and DDR5, right now. This is kinda like 1st gen ryzen, with regards to ram compatibility. The bugs have not been ironed out yet, so stick to the memory compatibility list. You can find it on the web page, for your particular board.

ceka6697

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
Z690-E gaming. The ram sticks that I want to buy is Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB . So your advice, is to pick the cheapest one ? On some forums I read , that with 36 latency (which is for DDR5 is best option right now) it's useless to buy something expensive , because 1-2 years later,we gonna see new ones with 50% low latency.. as it was with DDR4

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Recent testing suggests that there is almost no performance difference (in games) between DDR5 4800 and 6000. Once you have enough memory bandwidth for the installed GPU, it ceases to matter as much.

A very fast DDR4 4400 kit is going to get you most of the performance and half the latency. Regardless, I would aim for the lowest latency per clock I could get.

2x16GB 4400 CL19 for $130

DDR4 4400 CL19 2x32GB for $350

5200 CL36 seems to be about the middle ground for 2x32GB at $350
5600 CL28 looks neat, but is also $500

If you only need 2x16GB then it is only a little more than the DDR4 price.

logainofhades

Titan
Z690-E gaming. The ram sticks that I want to buy is Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB . So your advice, is to pick the cheapest one ? On some forums I read , that with 36 latency (which is for DDR5 is best option right now) it's useless to buy something expensive , because 1-2 years later,we gonna see new ones with 50% low latency.. as it was with DDR4

Definitely do not pay that extra $70, but if the ram you are looking at, isn't on this list, do not buy it.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

synphul1

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
My motherboard support up to 6400mhz , I am just curious , is spending 70$ (already 50$) worth it . I already bought 12900k and a motherboard so the only thing what I need to buy RAM
It's not just about the motherboard, it's about the alder lake imc limits. Some have gotten 6000 to work, others have gotten higher. Others not even that much, there's no guarantee. Unless there's some sort of bios update with microcode that can change that (doubtful) it's going to be the silicon lottery of the cpu mostly.

Being the intro to ddr5 it has its quirks. It already defaults to gear 2 so the memory doesn't run at 1:1 with the memory controller on the cpu. It's cut in half. Some things that can help give a slight boost on ddr5 is running dual rank but that requires either 4x8gb or 2x32gb. The 16gb sticks are single rank. There's a performance penalty using all 4 slots vs 2 on a 4 slot board and there's a slight performance hit I believe on 4 slot boards vs 2 slot.

It's important because aside from the higher initial prices it determines any future path. You get a 2 slot board and fill them up, you have to replace all the ram. Get a 4 slot board and fill 2 slots, if and when you get 2 more identical sticks (that play nice), it's a performance hit. And there's no real place holder ram for it now at 5600 or 6000 or whatever and next year swapping for 8000. You're still stuck with a cpu that won't support it even if the board got a bios update that allowed it on the board. So there's no real path forward. Upcoming raptor lake is supposed to have a slightly better imc on the cpu to allow handling higher speed ddr5. That would mean waiting for it or upgrading/swapping the cpu you just got for a newer one.

No doubt ddr5 will advance in the future, it's already improving beyond what can currently use it. Right now though you're stuck with mediocre timings and higher prices than realistically similar performing ddr4. Ddr4 is old tech going out, ddr5 is coming in new. But the way it exists right now there's nothing with a real ddr5 upgrade path. Just higher price ram. Outside of a very few games which see minimal improvements or zip compression, handling large file transfers or something the perks of ddr5 aren't really existent. If you find ddr5 with tighter timings and lower latencies it will cost even more. You could probably get decent timings and double your ram for the same price opting for ddr4 instead of 5. Look at all the timings though, not just cas/cl.