Question DDR5 Combining Single Stick

diktatur90

Reputable
Jul 19, 2018
Can I combine 2 similar single sticks of 16gb sticks, instead of buying a set of two?
The set of 2 is a lot more expensive than buying single sticks separately, and there also arnt many other options.
I was planning on purchasing either 2 sticks now or 1 stick now and adding another later.
Would it be possible with these options:
  • Corsair Vengeance 5200MHz C40 Memory CMK16GX5M1B5200C40 x 1 (not sure)
  • ADATA XPG Lancer 16GB 5200MHz RGB Memory AX5U5200C3816G-CLARBK x 1 (Spectek)
Since these DIMMs are XMP, will they work fine at XMP if combined?

Another option is : Crucial 16GB DDR5-4800MHz Memory CT16G48C40U5 x 1 (Micron)
I am assuming this one should work fine if i combine 2 sticks but it is priced similarly or slightly higher than the corsair and Adata ones.

I've already purchased 12700 + B660 MSI Mortar DDR5 motherboard.

Can I combine 2 similar single sticks of 16gb sticks, instead of buying a set of two?
The set of 2 is a lot more expensive than buying single sticks separately, and there also arnt many other options.
I was planning on purchasing either 2 sticks now or 1 stick now and adding another later.
Would it be possible with these options:
  • Corsair Vengeance 5200MHz C40 Memory CMK16GX5M1B5200C40 x 1 (not sure)
  • ADATA XPG Lancer 16GB 5200MHz RGB Memory AX5U5200C3816G-CLARBK x 1 (Spectek)
Since these DIMMs are XMP, will they work fine at XMP if combined?

Another option is : Crucial 16GB DDR5-4800MHz Memory CT16G48C40U5 x 1 (Micron)
I am assuming this one should work fine if i combine 2 sticks but it is priced similarly or slightly higher than the corsair and Adata ones.

I've already purchased 12700 + B660 MSI Mortar DDR5 motherboard.
Buy a 2x kit and save yourself a possible headache.

Bad assumption.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

Buy a 2 x ?? kit of the capacity you eventually will need up front.

diktatur90

Reputable
Jul 19, 2018
Buy a 2x kit and save yourself a possible headache.

Buy a 2 x ?? kit of the capacity you eventually will need up front.

While you guys are absolutely correct and i agree with you completely, the kits are really expensive costing upwards of $200. The cheapest kit im getting is the Kingston fury beast 5600mhz for $210. It does look like a really good kit, with a SK Hynix die possibly but it would be really difficult for me to afford that right now
Its costing me almost the same as what i paid for my motherboard. :(

the kits are really expensive costing upwards of $200. The cheapest kit im getting is the Kingston fury beast 5600mhz for $210. It does look like a really good kit, with a SK Hynix die possibly but it would be really difficult for me to afford that right now
Its costing me almost the same as what i paid for my motherboard. :(
Why did you choose DDR5 board, if DDR5 price causes such problems for you.

Return DDR5 board, get DDR4 board instead and save yourself some money.

diktatur90

Reputable
Jul 19, 2018
Why did you choose DDR5 board, if DDR5 price causes such problems for you.

Return DDR5 board, get DDR4 board instead and save yourself some money.
Honestly I was under the impression i could get 1 stick of crucial 48000mhz ram now and add another one later. Also, I did not know the 8gb DDR5 DIMMs dont perform as well as the 16gb ones.
I will ask the seller if he'd be willing to exchange it for a ddr4 motherboard, not sure if they will.