[SOLVED] DDR5 Corsair Vengeance 5200 + Aorus Elite Ax 4x16 issue

Aug 8, 2022
I got 4x16 5200mhz (I could not get 2x32 anywhere) but I had problems since the first day a few days ago.

I set the xmp to 5200 as the default was set to 4800 but had issues.
I ran memtest a couple days later and in 5200 it threw a lot of errors.
Disabled xmp and the memory was set to 4533 and no errors
Set it to 4800mhz manually (just the speed, did not change any timings) and again, lots of errors.
Set it back to auto which sets it to 4533mhz and no errors so far.

I researched and apparently plenty of motherboards have issues with ddr5 and 4 slots but I wanted to know if I should RMA them (it is not as easy to do here but it is doable) or it is just a limitation on the compability and not actually a faulty hardware.

I will test 2 sticks at 5200mhz once this current memtest finishes on that system but I wanted some input in case someone already had this issues.

I don't have a problem to run the 4 sticks at lower speed at the moment or to stick with them, just want to know if they are working fine and it is a compatibility issue or I need to send them back.
The 4 modules are 8 numbers apart on the serials so the are even from the same run.

Thank you very much.

Solution
New signaling requirements, moving the voltage regulation to the DIMMs, new memory controllers (and retaining DDR4 memory controllers). All DDR5 is unbuffered ECC as well, so not quite as carefree as unbuffered non-ECC DDR4 to get moving fast.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As you say, 4 sticks with DDR5 is problematic. I would think 4800MT/s would work, you might have to look and see if there is an actual memory profile for that, rather than just setting the speed.

I would send them back and try your best to get 2x32GB, maybe try directly reaching out to the manufacturer.

Aug 8, 2022
As you say, 4 sticks with DDR5 is problematic. I would think 4800MT/s would work, you might have to look and see if there is an actual memory profile for that, rather than just setting the speed.

I would send them back and try your best to get 2x32GB, maybe try directly reaching out to the manufacturer.
Thank you, I don't mind settling for now with 4533 but I will try 2x16 setting and see if they work at 5200. If it does I might just stick with that and have the other 2x16 as a backup in case the other fail.
2x32 is not coming any time soon here. I was able to get this one from an official importer. Maybe in the future I can get a faster 2x32 kit.

But I will check how the memtest goes.

I did find that gigabyte qvl for ddr5 says 4800mhz and 5200 are OK for all motherboards but says (dual) so 4 sticks might not have been tested.

I got 4x16 5200mhz (I could not get 2x32 anywhere) but I had problems since the first day a few days ago.

I set the xmp to 5200 as the default was set to 4800 but had issues.
I ran memtest a couple days later and in 5200 it threw a lot of errors.
Disabled xmp and the memory was set to 4533 and no errors
Set it to 4800mhz manually (just the speed, did not change any timings) and again, lots of errors.
Set it back to auto which sets it to 4533mhz and no errors so far.

I researched and apparently plenty of motherboards have issues with ddr5 and 4 slots but I wanted to know if I should RMA them (it is not as easy to do here but it is doable) or it is just a limitation on the compability and not actually a faulty hardware.

I will test 2 sticks at 5200mhz once this current memtest finishes on that system but I wanted some input in case someone already had this issues.

I don't have a problem to run the 4 sticks at lower speed at the moment or to stick with them, just want to know if they are working fine and it is a compatibility issue or I need to send them back.
The 4 modules are 8 numbers apart on the serials so the are even from the same run.

Thank you very much.
Proper bios?

I suspect that ddr5 is a work in progress.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
New signaling requirements, moving the voltage regulation to the DIMMs, new memory controllers (and retaining DDR4 memory controllers). All DDR5 is unbuffered ECC as well, so not quite as carefree as unbuffered non-ECC DDR4 to get moving fast.

Solution
Aug 8, 2022
Thank you all guys. Indeed I tested and the rams and mobo are working fine. The issue indeed was the 4 sticks as gigabyte current motherboards support 5200 only with 2 sticks. I don't regret getting the 2 pairs since I can have a back up in case something goes bad since for example ddr5 rams are not in stock since I bought them.
4 sticks work perfectly at 4533mhz if for any reason I need to add the other 32gb.
I will get 2 sticks of 32 or maybe even 2 sticks of 64 when someday that comes out and arrives here.

thank you.