Question ddr5, is it a RAM, CPU or motherboard problem?

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
good afternoon, do you believe that this current problem / limit of ddr5 is more related to Intel 12 gen processors that fail AND WILL NOT BE ABLE to work and not to "express" the maximum potential of these ddr5 RAMs (also given the moment in which they were designed, when ddr5 were practically only on paper), whether it is the ddr5 technology itself or you believe (individually taken without considering hardware around it) that it is too "immature" and that, therefore, we are the same ddr5 models, currently released on the market, not to be at the height yet ?? and, for the same reasoning, models of ddr5 that will come out later will also work well on Intel 12 gen processors, and there will be no need for future generations of processors (from Intel 13 gen onwards) to see the ddr5 working for the less better than the ddr4 with a noteworthy performance jump? What do you think is the most correct concept objectively speaking? If you are more in agreement with the first thing mentioned what improvement suggests that the next processors work better with ddr5 (cache, core, frequency etc ...) and how we can identify, based on these specifications in particular, a CPU intel 12 gen "better suited" to ddr5 (maybe it has more caches, for example). Same thing for ddr5 motherboards, what do you advise us to look at more with respect to compatibility and optimization that, perhaps (my guess), may vary from model to model, maybe the maximum supported frequencies, and even here you believe that the maximum supported frequency limit from all the cpu 12 gen (max 4800MHZ) represents a limit for a user who makes rendering, programming and uses heavy software (also in view of the future progress on ddr5)?

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
The limit is the memory controller, of 12th gen, at this time. If I understand correctly, you are talking about fast DDR5, when using 4 sticks, limitations.
no, i'm talking about the well-known theme where everyone says it doesn't make sense to take ddr5. and I'm wondering if this harshness of this technology is due to the RAM themselves, as those currently released on the market could still be very close to ddr4, or if the problem is given by the CPU or the motherboard ... what I would like to do one idea is to figure out if having a ddr4 computer with Intel 12 gen that you will be using for 5/6 years might be a bit limited to the third / fourth year for the ddr4 standard and maybe it gets a little old at that point, but I would also like to understand if buying a ddr5 PC now makes sense, maybe changing RAM later when the models become better and more mature, but I don't know if on the same CPU and motherboard even changing RAM (always ddr5) there could be an improvement? (I refer to this thinking that the current problem is the RAM banks themselves and maybe those that will come out in 1/2/3 years will be better optimized and resolving even on CPUs and motherboards of previous generations, in my case Intel 12 gen and mobo z690). I apologize in case I couldn't explain, thanks in advance for the replies :)

USAFRet

Titan
no, i'm talking about the well-known theme where everyone says it doesn't make sense to take ddr5. and I'm wondering if this harshness of this technology is due to the RAM themselves
This is the case with every new RAM generation.
When DR4 was first released, it was no better than the existing DDR3.
And on and on.

Eventually, DDR5 will evolve to be "faster" than the current DDR4.

Also, diminishing returns. Just like with drive speed, we're getting to the point where you cannot tell the difference.

Also, software needs to catch up to take advantage of that faster speed.

Also, price v speed. The new shiny generation is ALWAYS more expensive than the old stable generation.

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
This is the case with every new RAM generation.
When DR4 was first released, it was no better than the existing DDR3.
And on and on.

Eventually, DDR5 will evolve to be "faster" than the current DDR4.

Also, diminishing returns. Just like with drive speed, we're getting to the point where you cannot tell the difference.

Also, software needs to catch up to take advantage of that faster speed.

Also, price v speed. The new shiny generation is ALWAYS more expensive than the old stable generation.
thanks everyone for the answers, at this point I have the answer, I will go to the ddr5 motherboard (because for a computer that I will use for 5/6 years then I can always upgrade when the ddr5 will become better, and then in 5/6 years the ddr4 standard will get old, so i get ddr5 so i don't even have to change the mobo). Now I just have to figure out how to do it in the smartest way ... how many slots to take, which models (which do not give me problems with the motherboard), which motherboard to take, a model with which I will not have problems in the future with upgrades to other ddr5 banks , maybe one that will come out, if others come out (for Intel 12th gen) it will be perhaps more "optimized". I don't know, would you have any advice? (I have all these problems because I see that a conscious choice especially on ddr5 is a good thing because I'm reading about a lot of motherboard optimization problems, stuff with frequencies, instability, very bad optimization)

USAFRet

Titan
thanks everyone for the answers, at this point I have the answer, I will go to the ddr5 motherboard (because for a computer that I will use for 5/6 years then I can always upgrade when the ddr5 will become better, and then in 5/6 years the ddr4 standard will get old, so i get ddr5 so i don't even have to change the mobo). Now I just have to figure out how to do it in the smartest way ... how many slots to take, which models (which do not give me problems with the motherboard), which motherboard to take, a model with which I will not have problems in the future with upgrades to other ddr5 banks , maybe one that will come out, if others come out (for Intel 12th gen) it will be perhaps more "optimized". I don't know, would you have any advice? (I have all these problems because I see that a conscious choice especially on ddr5 is a good thing because I'm reading about a lot of motherboard optimization problems, stuff with frequencies, instability, very bad optimization)
By the time you buy/build this system, we'll be looking at the horizon for DDR6.

Reactions: Grealish01

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
sorry i have one last question, do you know an i7-12700k what max frequency it can support in overclocking before becoming unstable? Intel says it supports a maximum of 4800MHz with ddr5

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
By the time you buy/build this system, we'll be looking at the horizon for DDR6.
hello, thank you all for the answers :) I don't open a new discussion to avoid creating disorder, I have one last question if I can, if you answer you would solve a lot of doubts for me🥺. On the internet I was able to find some information and I realized that the cpu (leaving out the mobo on which it is mounted) can support a max frequency with ddr5 of 6000 / 6400MHz before becoming unstable (Intel itself tells us of 4800MHz). So when I use a RAM frequency (slightly) higher than what the cpu could tolerate (at the IMC controller level and a difference between frequencies) what can I do to the CPU to avoid being unstable and to make it able to work with RAM at such frequencies ??? (ie to have performances "that go parallel to the RAM" in the sense that there is no information that the cpu is not able to process due to the too much RAM frequency and vice versa). I don't know if raising the CPU frequency allows me to raise the frequency of the RAM as well, that is if this makes sense, for example RAM at 6400 and CPU at 4.9MHz, + 400MHz on both, i.e. RAM at 6800 and CPU at 5.3 . Or I don't know if a solution would be to raise the overclock voltage. Vo I only ask you not to contest some choices such as that of the ddr5, or the high frequencies, just to answer the question, it would not make sense to explain the reason for some choices, such as that of frequencies. thank you:)
@rgd1101 @logainofhades @USAFRet