Question DDR5 kit worth the money or money better spent elsewhere?

Jul 11, 2023
G.Skill DDR5 Ram 32gb

I dont know much about ddr5 except that its next gen and i want to buy it to future proof. I dont know if this speed is good or if the timings are good. I have bought from G.Skill and loved their stuff and rgb. Is the timing slow for the 7200mhz speed? Idk if the speed is on the low end for ddr5 or if the timings are garbage. Please if anyone can provide input that would be awesome. TYSM

G.Skill DDR5 Ram 32gb

I dont know much about ddr5 except that its next gen and i want to buy it to future proof. I dont know if this speed is good or if the timings are good. I have bought from G.Skill and loved their stuff and rgb. Is the timing slow for the 7200mhz speed? Idk if the speed is on the low end for ddr5 or if the timings are garbage. Please if anyone can provide input that would be awesome. TYSM
As with all previous generations, difference between best and average RAM performance is something in order of less than 1% in overall performance which translates to 0.1% difference in games and programs.

You might spend 50 to 70 dollars more for that RAM than you'd spend for say 5600 speed.

I'd think there are better places to spend the last 50 to 70 on a PC.....stronger CPU; higher capacity storage; superior cooler or power supply, etc.

But, if "bang for the buck" is meaningless.................

"i want to buy it to future proof."

"Future proof" remains quite a concept. I'm starting to wonder why that term seems to appear almost entirely in the self-built PC world.......not in engineering, medicine, or science in general.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Jul 11, 2023
It's a good RAM kit. My concern would be stability with a RAM kit like that not the performance of the kit itself, which seems to be very good.
yes someone on ltt forums said that with my Strix Z790H board i have a good chance of running it at 7200mhz with my 13700k but if i dont then I would need to clear cmos and tweak the timings and voltages, and if I cant i will just return the kit and buy a slightly slower kit with better timings

yes someone on ltt forums said that with my Strix Z790H board i have a good chance of running it at 7200mhz with my 13700k but if i dont then I would need to clear cmos and tweak the timings and voltages, and if I cant i will just return the kit and buy a slightly slower kit with better timings
Your more likely to do it on Intel than AMD, but it is very high, not sure if you will run into issues or not. You can certainly get a faster kit to work by lowering the speed. I've done that before, in my case I had Corsair Vengeance RAM, I simply went on to Corsair's website and got the timings for lower clocked kit and punched them in. So for example, 3600Mhz wasn't stable, I put in the numbers for 3200Mhz. You can of course play around manually tuning them.

Reactions: vortex01