Question DDR5 RAM recommendations for photo-editing?

Mar 15, 2023
I will do a new build with 32 GBs RAM on a Z790 AORUS Elite (or Z790 UD AC) and i7 13700K. RAM budget is about max $200 but would be happy at $150 if performance at that price range is 95% of the $200 sticks.

I am a photographer, not a techie and want to do a build that will last 10 years like my last Gen 3 17 build. I am mystifed by RAM and its specs. As such I will NOT over clock the RAM. I want RAM that I can boost in the BIOS by enabling XMP. I MAY decide to undervolt it or do what ever everyone seems needs to be done to the RAM to decrease power without sacrificing much performance. I can explore that later but would like RAM that will support that. I will not overclock the CPU as it seems the CPU and motherboard essentially does that already and additional gains are not worth the bother for a noob like me.

There are plenty of 'Best Gaming RAM' articles on the web but I don't know if my usage differs and how it effects my choice. Photo-editing is RAM and CPU single core intensive. It is 2D pixel pushing not 3D gaming. I know the amount of RAM I need - 32 GB will be enough. It is what I have had since 2012. It is the type of RAM that bewilders me....varying speeds and latency numbers. I thought this might be something important for me to take in to account when I buy my 32 GBs.

If faster ram does very little for performance, considering the extra spending to make it work, then that is useful knowledge for me. My workstation PC values stability as well as performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

Ralston18

Titan
Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for supported RAM and RAM configurations.

Pay close attention to the listed specs and installation/configuration options. Some motherboards now require that the first physically installed RAM stick be placed in a specific slot.

You can install faster RAM but it will only work at the speeds actually supported by the motherboard.

The specs should be listed in detail. As a double check go to the RAM manufacturer's websites and use the motherboard make, model, and revision to see what the RAM manufacturers list as a match to the motherboard. Compare specs.

Also go to the respective manufacturer's website for more updated information. Check site Forums and FAQs if available.

Purchase RAM as a kit for dual channel use. The RAM sticks in the kit are matched to work together.

= = = =

As for lasting 10 years - I would like that as well.

However in these times I am not optimistic about any electronics lasting 10 years.

Reactions: NEEDphotoRIG
Mar 15, 2023
Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for supported RAM and RAM configurations.
The QVL list.... check☑

Pay close attention to the listed specs and installation/configuration options. Some motherboards now require that the first physically installed RAM stick be placed in a specific slot.
Will do! Check☑

You can install faster RAM but it will only work at the speeds actually supported by the motherboard.
But if it is XMP and I enable this in BIOS it will run at that speed (if the CPU and mobo support it), right?

Purchase RAM as a kit for dual channel use. The RAM sticks in the kit are matched to work together.
Good to know. Check☑

Would you know what the sweet spot is for DDR5 RAM? It's a matter of diminishing returns. I won't want to spend another $50 more to get an extra 3% performance. Just want to find the price/performance value sweet spot.

You might pick up some tips from the above.

Could be balderdash or highly accurate. Somebody named Buildzoid. Highly regarded in SOME circles.

Longish video; it tends to point you toward Hynix chips rather than Samsung and alleges that Kingston RAM likely uses Hynix.

It says dual rank versus single rank is not a factor on DDR 5.

When the smoke clears, I wouldn't think you'd notice 3 percent differences in RAM performance. But that may not be enough reason for some.

What would be more disappointing to you:

1; "overpaying"; feeling that you were foolish to spend that extra 50 dollars on that faster RAM for no apparent improvement.

2; "underpaying"; wondering if you would have had a noticeable performance difference if only you'd spent another 50 dollars on RAM.

Your choice is mostly a matter of your personality. If you didn't know which RAM was installed, it's highly likely you couldn't tell, but buyer's remorse and second guessing yourself is a strong issue for some people.....including myself.

I just bought a new boot drive and can't tell the difference. Didn't expect I would, but that didn't deter me. Personality driven, but not distraught over it.

Mar 15, 2023
And most of those are junk clickbait.

As above, look to your motherboard QVL, and buy one of those.

And for your use, I'd seriously think about 64GB vs 32GB. (I also do a lot of photo/video/CAD)
Thanks...Am checking the QVL! However I do ZERO CAD or Video so I suspect 32GB is enough for me.....if (rather when) I need it then it should be cheaper then.

Mar 15, 2023
Your choice is mostly a matter of your personality. If you didn't know which RAM was installed, it's highly likely you couldn't tell, but buyer's remorse and second guessing yourself is a strong issue for some people.....including myself.

I just bought a new boot drive and can't tell the difference. Didn't expect I would, but that didn't deter me. Personality driven, but not distraught over it.
Once I've bought it I will be fine....I tend to obsess and get analysis paralysis BEFORE I purchase something....essentially to try and prevent buyers remorse. It does create inertia remorse as one of the mobos I was considering (Z790 Strix-H) has since sold out here. :D

Mar 15, 2023
Thanks guys for your help. I saw some reasonably priced (for Canada - I may do some cross border online shopping instead) G.Skill sticks. Decided to go with the Ripjaws over the Trident Z5 as I will be air-cooling (clearance!) and I suspect it is the same RAM. One just has the fancy RGB lights that I don't need.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($189.99 @ Canada Computers)

Mar 15, 2023

You might pick up some tips from the above.

Could be balderdash or highly accurate. Somebody named Buildzoid. Highly regarded in SOME circles.

Longish video; it tends to point you toward Hynix chips rather than Samsung and alleges that Kingston RAM likely uses Hynix.
Thanks - he did an amazing video about the mobo I want to purchase. He definitely appears to know his stuff. I say appears because I DON'T know my stuff and am not qualified to tell for sure.:D