Question DDR5 stability, cooling, worth the "future proofing"? - A few questions

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I am building a new system and am going with the MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk board and 13600k but can't decide between DDR4 or DDR5.

1.) On PCpartpicker putting in DDR5 with 7000mhz speed gives me this message: "The Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-7000 CL34 Memory operating voltage of 1.45 V exceeds the Intel Raptor Lake CPU recommended maximum of 1350 mv+5% (1417.5 mv). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1350 mv voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."
So does that means the CPU is bottlenecking this RAM at stock? For me the whole point of getting the DDR5 board would be to be able to slot in much faster RAM when it becomes available in the next couple years, but if this CPU or mobo are limiting me to a 6400mhz DDR5 ceiling then I may as well just stick with my 4x8Gb 3600 CL16 DDR4 kit and upgrade to DDR5 in 4 years when I upgrade CPU's again.

2.) Are 6000mhz+ kits stable at this point? I am seeing a lot of complaints about stability and people being unable to run XMP without tweaking. I hate fiddling with RAM so I want it to work out of the box.

3.) Does DDR5 need extra cooling? I keep seeing people mention it needing a fan blowing at it to help keep temps stable. I have 2 140mm intake fans and a NH-D15 that would be blowing past it so if that isn't enough that is a deal breaker too.

4.) Is there anything around the corner in regards to major performance gains that may benefit from DDR5 for software/games I should be aware of? As of now it basically seems like doing massive amounts of compression or gaming at 1080p ultra are the only scenarios that will really benefit from DDR5.

I mostly just want to avoid trapping myself on old hardware if the new stuff is about to become much more utilized. Not planning to upgrade mobo's for at least a few years so I want to make an informed decision.

D

Deleted member 2838871

3.) Does DDR5 need extra cooling? I keep seeing people mention it needing a fan blowing at it to help keep temps stable. I have 2 140mm intake fans and a NH-D15 that would be blowing past it so if that isn't enough that is a deal breaker too.

Not that I'm aware of. I have 3 intake fans and the same cooler and have no issues.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not since DDR2 and early high speed DDR3 (like 1600) have heatsinks really been necessary at all. Now when pushing the limits, maybe.

Just because the XMP profile commands 1.45 volts doesn't mean you have to run it at that. You can try to creep the voltage down and check for stability. Memory this fast generally needs to be tweaked to make it work.

But yes, these are first generation DDR5 memory controllers. They are going to be limited to some extent. Early DDR3 was 1066 with 1600 being a massive overclock.

DDR4 started with 2133 with 2666 and 3000 and 3200 being massive overclocks, now 3200 is basically the defacto standard.

DDR5 is expected to reach 8400 and up through its lifecycle.

If you can get 7200 working today, you are pretty well off.

dverdier

Prominent
Dec 10, 2022
It's prob too late but this popped up in my email for whatever reason. I'm no expert but I can tell you what I've learned after building a ddr5 system and digging into it. First thing is that those speeds you're looking for, although stated right on the box, are not stock. It's marketing. Those are overclock speeds and while they're advertised, no company will help you achieve anything passed like 4800 or whatever the default is. I think it's ****** up. It's like you buy a sports car and they tell you, well it's not meant to go above 70 mph and we're not going to help you get it there. That's exactly what they do. I have 6400 and it's totally stable. However, if you want to populate all four slots, you won't get above 3600. I have seen some pros get higher than that with all four but I don't know how. GSkill, Gigabyte, and AMD wouldn't help me. Nor would they say if anything would ever be updated in the future to allow four dimms with xmp/expo. I tried telling them look, I don't care about the 6400. That I would be happy with 4800 default. That default is only for two dimms. Even though it doesn't look as good and I basically wasted about $250 on the second 64gb kit, I'm only using one. 64gb of 6400mhz is faster than 128gb at 3600mhz. I even got lucky enough to receive four sequential serial numbered dimms out of the two kits and I basically can't use half of them. I had ordered two other full 128gb two 64gb kits trying to get ones off the official compatibility chart and neither of those were sequential. I finally found out the above information and returned the others to be left with my original two kits. I hope you didn't go through as much trouble as I did on my first diy build. Before this I had only ever maxed out ram and procs for whatever proprietary board was in the machine and added ssds. This was an expensive lesson but I'm hoping one day the chipset drivers will be more forgiving and I'll be able to find someone that can give me a step by step on making all four work as I don't know a thing about changing the thousand options in bios for ram. Not holding my breath for that though. I don't know if ddr4 has this two and four dimm problem. If it doesn't, I would buy 128gb of the fastest ddr4 available and overclock it some.