News De-Bloated Windows 11 Build Runs on 2GB of RAM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

USAFRet

Titan
De Bloat the spyware and keep the security. https://christitus.com/windows-tool/
And does nothing you can't do yourself.

Also, from his website:
"I must warn you to NOT use all the settings at once, or simple remove everything from the MS Store. Many times this will debloat the install but will BREAK the MS Store or uninstall any games / apps that were installed using it. This is why this option is never selected, but I left it there for those that really want to remove it. I personally do NOT recommend this, but I understand those that want to remove it "

Reactions: artk2219

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Surely one of the safest things that one could do is download a windows ISO that's been heavily modified, doesn't take updates, and who knows what got stuck in there? Love these windows reducers, but one can get a lot of reduction using a standard windows distribution. The tools are easy to use too, and the resulting windows is stock code that's trustworthy and operates normally, including updates. You aren't going to run it in 2GB though, and I doubt that anyone would enjoy it in 4GB either.

This is actually kinda neat, not something regular folks would use as a desktop OS but a good platform to build other stuff on top of. I mean de-bloated / stripped down Linux distro's pretty much run everything the world, could totally see someone taking this and only layering what is necessary to do specific tasks. The biggest thing was removing Windows Side by Side (WinSxS) is a massive reduction in space. That is where Windows stores every version of every library and component that ever gets installed or updated, just in case some program really wants version X.5 instead of the version X.8 you have installed.

SethNW

Reputable
Jul 27, 2019
It is in a way really ironic how efficiency Win10/11 cores are and how much work went in to make very scalable, but how badly bloated full package got with other stuff they added. It really was funny when JayzTwoCents had some old laptop to fix and it was constant 50% plus utilization on CPU, then he ran Win10 Debater and it went down to sometomesbeing 0%. :-D

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
It passed thru the famous NLite software, you see the log on the root, you do it at the iso level / uncmress it do the changes blah blah, the nightmare is the famous Winsxs folder, i wish M$ would really implement some clean up procedure, not call some dism or clean commands form the console etc ...

And yes with proper app removals tools and the hibernate file size, the page file size and the swap file size you can reduce the footprint and still keep it usable and updatable ....

This tiny 11 as good points, but gone slightly too far

I'm just guessing here but if someone went in and just removed all those stupid little games and junk that nobody uses it would cut the install size of Windows 11 in half.
Well the good thing is, them stupid little games that are pre installed isn't actually installed until you click into it, its just an place holder to entice people to click on it to install it, same goes for a bunch of them tiles in the start menu, but yeah, I agree windows should just be bare bones, let the user install what they want.

_deXter_

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Key words:
"it isn’t a serviceable release, "

Booting up is one thing.
Actually using it for more than just looking at the desktop is quite something else.

Ob the other hand, this would be a great option for VMs, like say if you're running Linux as your main OS, and you need your VM resource utilization to be as low as possible, and the lack of Windows Updates and features etc won't be a deal-breaker either.

Sep 17, 2022
The best thing about 11 is it's improved security functions, this removed those and makes the OS no better than 10 was. It's simple enough to remove any apps you don't use already. They solved a problem that doesn't exist.

Jan 25, 2023
Yep, and back then, and for a couple of years after, Windows 10 could be used with a spinning HDD and, I know, hard to believe today but, it was NOT painful to use!

Today, an SSD is a must for a reasonable experience.
Yup! They really did creep the bloat back into it over the years. I still haven't even installed the latest 10 feature update. During a short moment of weakness, I decided to see what it may have to offer and every single thing it listed as an "improvement" was something I would NEVER want on my PC. There seems to be some kind of obsession in MS to make Windows look/act like Mac. If we wanted Macs we would get Macs. Mac people won't switch to PC because it looks more like it anyway. Many use Mac because they have to for work(only time I ever did...it wasn't that bad for office crap actually, but the hardware was junk. We has stacks of 2-3 year old MacBook Pros and Airs in the IT department that weren't even worth trying to fix apparently. If thwy don't need to use it for work, they buy them for the same reason someone would buy a Tesla....to show off.

I'm about done with Windows. This sort of thing is appealing, but it will be a pain in the butt soon enough. There is too much malware out there to risk a potentially wide open system. The fact that you can strip the bloat down that much says a lot about what it does. I ONLY use Windows for gaming. I can do nearly anything else I want to use a PC for on Linux with no problem. I am ready to try gaming on it too. I don't play many games so it's not like I would have to mess with it a the time, just once or twice per game. Steam OS has my fingers crossed too since I tend to use AMD. Anyway, yeah I remember when 10 first came out, I was a little resistant, but when I got a new system, it was clear 7 would be an issue at the time, so I gave it a whirl and it was actually rather nice. I was pleasantly surprised, but it just got worse and worse. One update a few years ago made many of the basic features into MS Store "Apps". I learned this when I was without internet for like 3-4 months and things just stopped working. ie: "Photos" wouldn't even show a preview of a picture. I could open a pic by setting it as my desktop, but that was it. There were a few others too. I read about why and lugged my desktop down to McDonald's to use their internet for one second and it all started working. Also a little later I somehow ended up looking at my MS Store "Purchase " history and it said I "purchased" like 60 (free) apps and games during the months I was offline. Most were ones that I have never even heard of and some were repeated. Between that and them making regular features "Apps" that make you have to log into MS Store made me think they were trying to inflate their store traffic metrics to get more Ads or app devs. A few months later they announced the Android apps would be available on MS Store. I guess they Suckered Google , but the apps were only available to be installed on your android via "Phone app" or connected/linked to windows why?! Just use playstore on the phone. Why was that worth even doing?! Ah I'm sorry I'm just ranting will stop now, you get the point. Have a good one!

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Does MS make an "embedded" version of Win10 or Win11 that hobbyists can get their hands on? Any idea as to how big it is?

I was introduced to the embedded version of Win7 a decade ago when I worked for a company that made rack mounted test equipment. Inside each box was a mini ITX motherboard running a cut down version of Win7 that I learned was a special "embedded" version. MS sold it to OEMs like mine for the use in products like my company built.

All the basic features of Windows was there. Graphic drivers, networking, remote desktop. All the features one would want for applications debugging. Would be great if hobbyists could get their hands on embedded versions for making dedicated Windows boxes.
They call it Windows IoT now, and as far as I know you have to have an Enterprise Agreement to get it through official channels... meaning it's not as easy to find as home and pro.

The best thing about 11 is it's improved security functions, this removed those and makes the OS no better than 10 was. It's simple enough to remove any apps you don't use already. They solved a problem that doesn't exist.

Windows 11 is no more secure then Windows 10, or even 7 for that matter. The NT6+ kernel architecture is largely the same with each revision adding more features or tuning some performance item or other. The biggest difference between these OS's is really the GUI. "Newer" does not mean "more secure".

As for why the Windows installations keep bloating up, it's all about Windows Side by Side (WinSxS). When you first install windows it comes with a default set of components / libraries. With each update / "feature release" (cough service pack) Microsoft adds newer versions of those components and libraries, while also keeping the older versions around. Over time we can end up with five or six different versions of every component with the latest one being symlinked and Windows capable of substituting an older version if specifically asked for. This is also how the option / feature rollback works, by just changing the symlinks to the version being rolled back to.

The Net Avenger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014
2GB of RAM - ok sure, but a normal install can run fine with 2GB of RAM.

How does this run better when almost everything removed doesn't sit in RAM, and the couple of things that do use a couple MBs or stay paged out?

There are still some big myths that revolve around 'removing bloat' - which only reduces the OS drive footprint. Due to how Windows works, even low level dependencies do not have to be active if nothing that requires them are running.

Window's footprint can sink to under 800MB without much issue or paging, leaving quite a bit of room for most software that isn't crazy. (Cough Chrome

Curious to see if anyone has run any actual benchmarks on a 2GB system with a regular install compared to Tiny11 - I would be surprised if there is any/much difference.

For a regular install, if it is poky on a 2GB system, disable Windows Search if it is running on MMC or a traditional HDD and is a bit too active - and maybe flip off real time defender.

The main benefit Tiny11 is doing is saving drive space, which can help on things like older tablets with a 16GB or 32GB soldered storage.

D

Deleted member 14196

I see tiny 11 as more of an embedded system. But I would use Linux just like Tesla does in their cars. I would never use windows embedded it’s junk.

basically, if I am going to roll out some kind of service or embedded device it’s probably not going to be on Microsoft platforms. Too slow