de-ionised water safe to use ?

Real_4

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2016
Hi iv just bought a de-ionised water at local Halfords in UK they guy said its the same as distiled water as i am using fractal design kelvin s36 Cpu Water Cooling System the tech guy at Fractal Design website told me to use from Support> Deionized water still has salts and minerals in it which can harm the cooler, so it is not the same as distilled water, where all the minerals are removed.

You can put in the distilled water as it is as the coolant already in will be enough.

Solution
Antifreeze for your car has other additives. Those additives SOMETIMES have anti-corrosive properties. Not all antifireeze has this. Regardless, de-ionized water tends to have other minerals in it. It will likely damage your water cooling system with time. Not recommended.

Water cooling systems have a pump, which makes the water flow. Any extra minerals can, and will likely damage the pump. Other issues could be the type of hose you use in your water cooling system. Chemicals can eat that hose. If you have any metals in your water, then you have the chance of galvanic corrosion, which would affect any metal parts in your water cooling setup.

There is a reason why people tell you to go with distilled water.

I use a water...
De-ionized water is treated using chemicals(In most cases), such as a water softener. It replaces some chemicals with other chemicals.

Distilled water is basically boiled, then re condensed.

I recommend ONLY Distilled water and NOT de-ionized.

Your support person was correct. There are still salts, which could erode your water cooling parts in the most types of de-ionized water, and you really can't tell which type is which due to labelling issues with de-ionized water.

Real_4

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2016
From Support when i asked him about De-Ionised water he said :

If the water you have is the same as for the car, it is alright to use. The existing coolant in the cooler already has anti-corrosive fluid in it.

Antifreeze for your car has other additives. Those additives SOMETIMES have anti-corrosive properties. Not all antifireeze has this. Regardless, de-ionized water tends to have other minerals in it. It will likely damage your water cooling system with time. Not recommended.

Water cooling systems have a pump, which makes the water flow. Any extra minerals can, and will likely damage the pump. Other issues could be the type of hose you use in your water cooling system. Chemicals can eat that hose. If you have any metals in your water, then you have the chance of galvanic corrosion, which would affect any metal parts in your water cooling setup.

There is a reason why people tell you to go with distilled water.

I use a water cooling system, have for 20 years now, and I use pure distilled water with silver kill coils, and don't have problems.

Maybe you can purchase the water online in your area.

Solution

Real_4

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2016
do u use biocide aswell with the silver coil as uv mentioned ?? as i need it asp as my pump is making grinding sounds when there is less water flowing throught it so need to top it up but cant find any in any stores and online its expensive

Biocide is an option, I have used it, and having a biocide along with a kill coil, shouldn't hurt you at all. Its a matter of preference.

A Kill Coil is basically just a piece of silver added into the loop. The silver acts as a natural biocide, but it only affects the water that physically touches it. A biocide agent will actually do a bit better and circulate in the whole loop and could kill other baddies in your water cooling system.

Real_4

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2016
well i cant see the fluid as i am using fractal design kelvin s36 closed loop so gona cheack in 2 weeks and see as they guy said if i mixe it it will be fine as the fluid before had anti corosive and biocide and silver coil already in the liquid so i just toped it up with the water iv bought today in 2 weeks i am gona purchase this https://www.ebuyer.com/788366-x-ec6-cl-clear-coolant-at-ebuyer-com-x-ec6-cl?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjw4PHZBRA-EiwAAas4Zn9oCZEu4xAaEX6J2mytkpJIfMduf5Tqrc3K6stdWucA_nuG-vmPbhoCNJkQAvD_BwE