Info Dead AMD Ryzen 3900x? Read this!

coffeenfifa

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
TLDR; a GPU LED light on an Aorus X570 Ultra does not mean that the GPU is dead. My CPU is what died.

Posting this here as Tom's is good with Google Search Results. Someone with the same issue might find it. I wish I had found this while troubleshooting.

My computer just died on me last night; no warning, no BSoD, nothing. It rebooted and then would not start after that. When trying to boot, I noticed that the GPU LED was on permanently. I assumed the GPU was dead. I tried moving RAM sticks around, clearning the CMOS, removing the battery, and was unable to get it back up and running.

I'm running the following:

Motherboard: Aorus X570 Ultra Rev 1
Processor: Ryzen 3900x
RAM: G Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB @ 3600 MHz (XMP)
GPU: Aorus RTX 2070 Super 8G

This morning I got up and went to Best Buy and sourced an MSI 5500 XT thinking I'd use that until I got the RMA on my 2070S completed. To my surprise, I got the same result and the computer wouldn't boot. This computer is what I use for work and it absolutely needed to be running on Monday (tomorrow). Because of this, I got in my car and drove 50 miles to the nearest Micro Center, where I would be able to buy an entire system and use that to troubleshoot. Worst case scenario, I'd just build a new system and use that to work until I could figure out what was going on with my computer.

At Microcenter, I bought a new Asus X570 motherboard, a new 3900X, and the same RAM sticks I had. I also got a new PSU, just in case, but my current one is less than 6 months old and is a 850W Seasonic, more than enough to handle my system. This and the 5500 XT is a new system and should most definitely work. Came back home and got to work. I was about $1,200 in at this point.

I decided to start with the motherboard, thinking that there is no "motherboard" LED on this board and could likely be the culprit. I've never gotten to a point where I trust it completely for some reason. After completely dismantling my system and putting it back together with the new motherboard, I got the same result. Would not boot.

I have been using and putting together computers for over 20 years and I've never had a CPU just die on me. However, this is what I tried next. I put in the new 3900x on the new Asus board and it fired up and I was able to get into the BIOS. I couldn't believe it.

It was then time to take the whole thing apart, put in my old motherboard, and reconnect everything. Once I did that, I closed the case, connected all the cables and everything worked again.

Tomorrow I will drive back to Micro Center and Best Buy and attempt to return the items I didn't end up needing.

I think it is unfortunate that there is no better way to indicate where the failure of the 4 main components is. Even an LED that says "other" would at least help cross out the GPU as the possible cause, particularly on CPUs without integrated graphics where you cannot test the GPU if you don't have another one around. Does anyone know why the motherboard would have the GPU LED lit but the CPU is what had failed?

Now onto RMAing this CPU.

By the way, the only thing I've done to this CPU is underclocking it to 1.275 volts when I needed this to remain quiet using Ryzen Master. This gave me an all core speed of 4.2 GHZ without temps going insane. I don't know why by default these systems sent up to 1.4 volts to the CPU when idle.

This was an interesting read indeed. CPUs are indeed rarely prone to failure by themselves, provided they are cooled properly. Usually it will hepen because of overvoltage (either in BIOS or by bad PSU, and naturally lightning strikes and similar) or prolonged overheating.

No idea why your GPU LED was on, though. My guess would be that without CPU it could not identify GPU, and since it has no dedicated CPU LED it showed only what it could show - dead GPU.

Glad you sorted it out!

coffeenfifa

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Thanks. I'm cooling with an h100i and haven't seen temps go crazy. They usually idle at 40c or so and go as high as 65-70 under serious load.

I wasn't doing anything to the system. I've never overclocked it, but I do sometimes underclock as mentioned. At the time this happened, clocking was being handled in full auto.

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
From what I have read, I have seen it is alright for the voltage to go up around 1.4v if it is not on a full load. Hopefully I don't get the same issue, I have a newer 3900X system running with a voltage offset of 0.1v. Never reaches 1.3v on full load

Nov 16, 2020
Hi guys, first time here, please I need some help! I’m getting almost the same problem with the only difference that some times I’m able to enter to bios. But when I reboot it get stuck on the vga led. The pc was worked perfect for almost 2 months

mb: asus rog strix b550-f gaming (WiFi)
CPU: amd ryzen 9 3900x
Gpu: asus rog strix GeForce rtx 2060
Ram: corsair vengeance rgb pro 4x 8gb

Last edited: