Question Dead Bios chip?

mudassirfarooqpk

Prominent
May 19, 2018
Hi,
I have an HP Spectre Pro x360 G2.
A few days ago my laptop went in hibernation due to low battery, on powering up it was just a black screen (backlight was on so I could see a glow in the screen).
I tried restarting etc. Nothing happened.
I opened up, removed the battery and I tried to reset the bios but there is no CMOS Cell in this laptop, so I wasn't probably able to do that. Any ways I removed the motherboard inspected for some burned component and found everything Okay. I put everything back and powered on and bingo it started. I saw a screen with message "Invalid Bios Error " etc. it restarted automatically and windows booted up.
Next day it went into hibernation again, again Black screen, I opened up again. It worked out.
Next day it went into hibernation again, I opened up trying to find the culprit to do a permanent solution, but it's not working this time. I'm fed up. Have tried every possible thing.
1- I have tried HP's Windows+B and Window+V key trick at the startup.
2- I have tried removing battery and pressing power button for 15 seconds to discharge everything.
3- I have tried making a bios update USB and plugging that at startup as HP asks to do.
4- I have tried resetting BIOS chip by shorting two of its pins (Its a Winbond 25Q64FVSIG)

Anyone have any idea what's the real problem and solution?
Thanks

You are confusing BIOS and CMOS. The IC you tried to short does not need power to store its content, it is the one that stores the BIOS itself. The one you are looking for is CMOS memory area that stores the settings and the clock. It might be a part of SMC in your case.

3- I have tried making a bios update USB and plugging that at startup as HP asks to do.
Did you actually update the bios in the end ?

Plugin external monitor (hdmi or vga) whateever you have, do you get black screen on that too when the issue starts?

EDIT: F.23 Rev.A this is latest version are you running it already?

EDIT: forget about vga im living in last decade, i meant displayport or hdmi :LOL:

Last edited: