Dead Box

carlcs

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Built my first computer to use as a Windows Home Server. Got it to work for a week, then it stopped.

Components
Intel Duo Core
2 SATA drives
onboard graphics and NIC

Symptoms:

I turn on the power supply and get the LED on the motherboard, but that's it. No CPU fan, no chassis fan, no HD noise. I saw the same behavior while I was building the computer, but I was able to resolve it then by taking the heatsink off and putting it back on.

Interestingly enough, if I unplug the 4 pin CPU power addaptor, I get CPU fan, chassis fan, and a little HD activity.

What further debugging steps should I take?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Could try a different PSU. Disassemble it including removing the mobo from the case. Be sure you have the precise number of standoffs, no more no less, and when you reinstall it make sure all screws are inserted. Reassemble testing it after each is installed. Did you clean the CPU and HSF and put on a dab of thermal paste when you took out the CPU?

carlcs

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Thanks, that held enough clues to fix the situation.

I knew it was a bad sign when my first reaction was 'what's a standoff?' My case didn't come with any and I wondered why it was so hard to put the motherboard in. I made another stop to my friendly supply store, got some and the whole process went infitely smoother.

I'm sure the thermal paste helped too.