[SOLVED] Dead CMOS battery, Windows upgrade question

lolpc

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
So I have an older PC that I want to update and use as a LAN PC, however the CMOS battery is dead, it boots up just fine I just have to go through the BIOS and change the time. It's not my primary PC so it's not an everyday hassle for me, the reason why I haven't just changed the battery is that it's a Maximus VI Formula and you can only get to the battery by removing the armor, which means you have to disassemble the freaking machine, and for something I use so infrequently, it seems a little too bothersome. Before I start using it as a LAN PC I want to upgrade it from Win 7 to Win 10, so I was wondering if you guys think there's going to be an issue with the upgrade with a dead CMOS battery during the frequent restarts during install?

Solution
An in-place upgrade would probably be ok - although you'll likely be directed to the BIOS to correct the time following every restart.

A clean OS install might be a little tougher, but the same rules would apply.

Ultimately, it's a a little time consuming, but not an unrealistic amount of time to disassemble/remove the board/remove armor/replace the CMOS battery....... Probably 30 minutes maximum? I would probably go that route but, if you decide not to, you should still be able to upgrade or install Windows 10.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
An in-place upgrade would probably be ok - although you'll likely be directed to the BIOS to correct the time following every restart.

Ultimately, it's a a little time consuming, but not an unrealistic amount of time to disassemble/remove the board/remove armor/replace the CMOS battery....... Probably 30 minutes maximum? I would probably go that route but, if you decide not to, you should still be able to upgrade or install Windows 10.

Reactions: lolpc
Solution

lolpc

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

Cool! I'll probably end up just upgrading the machine in-place, I'm really not tempted to pull the thing apart as my cable management skills back then were abysmal to say the least :D

Thanks for the help!