Dead cmos battery work around, old socket 7 pc.

conquer7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I recently decided to tryout my old socket 7, Pentium 1 PC. Thought it turns on perfect and displays (18 years old) i always get a low cmos battery error and it forces me to go to bios, which every time i set something and save it, it does not because the battery is dead . So i looked inside the PC, and to my surprise, the battery is not like every other PC , it is a black rectangle soldered to the board. Is there anyway i can use an external battery thru any pins or is there another type of work around?
Here is the link to images of it.

http://imageshack.us/g/443/20130310224736.jpg/

Your motherboard is using the M48T86PC1 IC, a 5.0V PC Real Time Clock. The backup battery will be good for 10 years of data retention and clock operation in the absence of power. The backup battery is inside the IC, nothing can be done to replace the battery. You could replacement the IC with this one DS12887.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Now I see the battery! It says Lithium Battery right on it! Geez. Blind as a bat. :pt1cable:
I'm still shocked that even as recently as the 486/Pentium days they would still have used a soldered-in chip w/battery, but Jarotech is undoubtedly correct.

conquer7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
yep I found a 24 pin clock battery on ebay of the same make for 7.00 $, anyway Is there anyway i can remove the old ic and solder this one in? I know a guy who experienced in soldering.

TRENDING THREADS