[SOLVED] Dead CPU after blown PSU?

Feb 24, 2021
Hi, I recently had a shorted GPU which blew my old PSU. New PSU, mobo, RAM and GPU later, I've installed them all into a new Asus ROG B450-F Gaming II, fans all spin, lights are all on but no POST, mobo DRAM light comes on. Re-seated new ram in different slots, no joy. Even inserted my working GTX 970 but no picture still.

I've re-seated the Ryzen 1600 and repasted but still no POST but the orange DRAM light now blinks slowly instead of a solid light.

Is my 1600 dead too? Or is it my new mobo? Others seems to have had to RMA this board for dead RAM slots?

I've ordered a new R5 3600 in case its a dead 1600.

SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF (old)
MOBO: Asus ROG B450-F Gaming II (new)
GPU: Sapphire NItro+ RX580 (new)
RAM: Ballistix 3000Mhz DDR4 8GB x2 (new)
PSU: Seasonic 650w Gold Core (new)

Thank you!

UPDATE: The CPU was fried. Replaced with new 3600 and now all working!

Last edited:
Solution
Hmmm not on the QVL list actually. Ordered some Hyper Fury X and will return these sticks of RAM. Didn't realise these mobos were so sensitive to RAM, my last basic AsRockB450 was fine with the Ballistix.

Just checked the manual myself and you're right, no mention of flashing lights, I'm going to guess either dead board or Ram now.

Should be receiving Ram and new R5 3600 tomorrow so that should rule CPU/Ram out. If they don't work, board will be going back.
The QVL list is the way to go IF you can find RAM on the list....and sometimes that's a big IF.
As I said....I use RAM not on the list...but that doesn't mean it's the first RAM I tried.
Sometimes if you match RAM with the specs it works....and sometimes not.
Out of...
Feb 24, 2021
I think odds are that the CPU is OK.
It isn't that easy to damage a CPU.
...and if a short truly did blow your old PSU I think chances are the voltages never got high enough to damage anything.

So it likely to be a dud mobo? There's no way i can test my current CPU as i have no access to another AM4 PC right now.

Feb 24, 2021
Ram should be fine, I've used two different sets and two different sticks. I guess I'll try to RMA the board if the new 3600 I've ordered doesn't work either.

If the 1600 is fine, I guess I'll use in a new build.

Feb 24, 2021
- By what process did you determine that your GPU caused damage to the PSU? It's far more likely that it's the other way around.

- What are the exact PSUs involved?

Missing information here, really.

Old blown PSU was a v. old OCZ 750w. The old dead GPU had a short (confirmed on another system) which caused my PSU to blow its capacitors, start a small fire and then smoke. I thought all the components had been taken out tbf.

New PSU is a 650w Seasonic Gold.

Sorry I should have mentioned the old PSU blowing up and smoking.

Ram should be fine, I've used two different sets and two different sticks. I guess I'll try to RMA the board if the new 3600 I've ordered doesn't work either.

If the 1600 is fine, I guess I'll use in a new build.
Well it does sound like the RAM might be fine.
...and thanks for describing the short.

I experience lots of shorted power supplies...in PCs...and in just about everything else...and usually (not always)...when the PSU dies from being shorted....the voltages don't go higher than the PSU's nominal voltages....in which case...things generally don't get damaged.

There are cases where the voltage can spike and pretty much destroy everything connected to it....but in my experience...that is the exception, not the rule.

Reactions: KC_UK_PCbuild
Feb 24, 2021
So I just tried playing with the ram slots and the orange DRAm light is a solid orange colour when no ram is inserted and a flashing orange light when any of my 4 sticks are inserted. Any significance or further diagnosis from that?

Feb 24, 2021
Well it does sound like the RAM might be fine.
...and thanks for describing the short.

I experience lots of shorted power supplies...in PCs...and in just about everything else...and usually (not always)...when the PSU dies from being shorted....the voltages don't go higher than the PSU's nominal voltages....in which case...things generally don't get damaged.

There are cases where the voltage can spike and pretty much destroy everything connected to it....but in my experience...that is the exception, not the rule.

Hmmm i think you may be right Jay, I suspect the CPU is fine as the fan is starting up but I now think it might be the Ram again....

Feb 24, 2021
Well as I said up top....I was somewhat suspecting the RAM.
I also looked in the manual regarding the "flashing" LED.
It mentions NOTHING about flashing.

OK so most likely dead ram - never had a problem with brand new ram before though - both sticks too?

Tested ram is 2x Ballistix 8Gb 3200Mhz and 2x Oloy RGB Warhawk 3200Mhz.

Jogibearson

Prominent
Dec 28, 2019
Make sure the pins arent bent. Can be that one is completely Removed over, making your pc unable to boot. Had this before on a R5 1400.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so most likely dead ram - never had a problem with brand new ram before though - both sticks too?

Tested ram is 2x Ballistix 8Gb 3200Mhz and 2x Oloy RGB Warhawk 3200Mhz.
I think it might not be dead...maybe just not gelling with your system.
Were those sticks off the QVL list?
Although I'm not going to say they HAVE to be....because I don't run off the QVL list.

Feb 24, 2021
I think it might not be dead...maybe just not gelling with your system.
Were those sticks off the QVL list?
Although I'm not going to say they HAVE to be....because I don't run off the QVL list.

Hmmm not on the QVL list actually. Ordered some Hyper Fury X and will return these sticks of RAM. Didn't realise these mobos were so sensitive to RAM, my last basic AsRockB450 was fine with the Ballistix.

Just checked the manual myself and you're right, no mention of flashing lights, I'm going to guess either dead board or Ram now.

Should be receiving Ram and new R5 3600 tomorrow so that should rule CPU/Ram out. If they don't work, board will be going back.

The QVL list is the way to go IF you can find RAM on the list....and sometimes that's a big IF.
As I said....I use RAM not on the list...but that doesn't mean it's the first RAM I tried.
Sometimes if you match RAM with the specs it works....and sometimes not.
Out of everything you have mentioned...I think the RAM would be the most common thing to have an issue with.

Solution
Feb 24, 2021
So update today....

New CPU and ram arrived today. Fitted the ram: still orange light and no Post.

Fitted the new Ryzen 3600 and it's alive! No more light and boots into windows!

I've never seen a dead CPU allow a PC to boot up before, but another thread I saw mentioned AMD have their memory controllers on the CPU so maybe this got fried when the old PSU blew? In any case, the mobo was not at fault and if anyone has similar problems and sees this post in the future, see if you can borrow a CPU after checking your ram!

Thanks again to jay32267 and jogibearson for advice.