[SOLVED] Dead CPU or dead Motherboard?

Jul 22, 2020
Hi all,
I assembled a PC few days back. The CPU temperature as displayed on the Motherboard was 50 to 60 under normal load and around 84 under gaming. On the third day, I was editing a video and the system shut down all of the sudden without any warning.
I turned the system on later and it turned on. Few minutes after bootup, it shut down again. Third time when I switched on the system, I got CPU Code 00. Some chassis fans were working. Some not. The 3 intake fans mounted in the front were not working. But exhaust fan was working. I switched the chassis fan connectors on the mobo for the intake fans but no use.
Things I tried:
  • Flashed BIOS from USB and cleared CMOS. After this, when i pressed the power button, the Fans and the RGB light turned on for a fraction of a second and went off immediately. I pressed power button 3 or 4 times when finally the system powered up. This time, motherboard gave me 'Code 01'. I turned off the system and turned it On again. Code changed back to 00 again.
  • Removed all RAM sticks and SATA connection. Got the same code 00.
  • Removed GPU and turned on. Got code 00
  • Disconnected the 8+4 pin CPU power connector. No change in the code.
  • Also reseated the CPU and checked all connections.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Mobo: Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i RGB Pro
Can I confirm that it is a dead mobo and not dead CPU?

Last edited:
Solution
Unfortunately I won't be able to borrow an AMD CPU because people here prefer Intel CPUs.
I mentioned that 3 intake fans are not working but 1 exhaust fan is working. Why do you think that a damaged CPU causes some fans to work but not all? I am neither an expert in this. So a little explanation will help a lot. Thank you so much for helping me out😊
Depends on where the fans are getting their reading from. Intake and outtake should both be reading the motherboard, but since only one is working, I wouldn't draw the conclusion that the fan header is dead. Did you move the intake fans to a working fan header? If the intake fan header is reading off of a dead CPU, it could just think that the CPU is at 0 degrees(or if it's still...

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Seems like a CPU problem to me, but I'm no expert on the matter. This type of thing hasn't happened to me before. If you can, try to borrow a Ryzen 3 3300X or Ryzen 3200G to try to start up the motherboard. Don't necessarily need to put CPU fan, just try to get it to post with the alternate CPU, one stick of RAM and maybe a GPU if you are't using an APU. As soon as it posts(or hopefully doesn't, meaning most likely dead mobo), then shut it off ASAP to avoid burning CPU.

Jul 22, 2020
Unfortunately I won't be able to borrow an AMD CPU because people here prefer Intel CPUs.
I mentioned that 3 intake fans are not working but 1 exhaust fan is working. Why do you think that a damaged CPU causes some fans to work but not all? I am neither an expert in this. So a little explanation will help a lot. Thank you so much for helping me out😊

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Depends on where the fans are getting their reading from. Intake and outtake should both be reading the motherboard, but since only one is working, I wouldn't draw the conclusion that the fan header is dead. Did you move the intake fans to a working fan header? If the intake fan header is reading off of a dead CPU, it could just think that the CPU is at 0 degrees(or if it's still communicating, it may be reading room temp since the CPU isn't running). The fact that it said CPU error is what is giving me this feeling, but a broken motherboard could easily be giving off false error messages, depending on what part of it isn't working. FYI, your motherboard will actually work with Zen+ CPUs, as well as Zen+ and Zen APUs. There are just 2 non-OEM Zen APUs, both start with 2000. So look for anything that has a 2000 or a 3000 and you should be good to go. APUs are the best choice(ending in G, like the Ryzen 3200G). That's because then you don't need your graphics card plugged in, so that could save some time with troubleshooting and simplify somethings(even though the GPU isn't broken).

Solution
Jul 22, 2020
Did you move the intake fans to a working fan header?
There are three chassis fan headers on my mobo. The exhaust was running from CHA_FAN3 and the intake was from CHA_FAN1. I did switch the intake to CHA_FAN2 and still didn't work. However it didn't come to my head to connect intake to the working header. I have given the mobo for RMA. Will update you after getting my replacement.

If the intake fan header is reading off of a dead CPU, it could just think that the CPU is at 0 degrees(or if it's still communicating, it may be reading room temp since the CPU isn't running).
The exhaust fan (connected to CHA_FAN3 header) and the AIO cooler fans (pump connected to CPU_FAN and powered by SATA) are all working. Only the 3 intake fans are not working. And that too, when I press the power button, they do rotate for a second or less and then stop.

but a broken motherboard could easily be giving off false error messages, depending on what part of it isn't working.
This has happened. I have once received "Code 01" after flashing BIOS from USB and clearing CMOS and also "Code 0D" some other time. But next time I restart the PC, it becomes "Code 00". When "Code 00" comes, nothing will happen when you press the Reset button or press and hold power button on mobo. The system has also started and booted once when I kept the PC shut overnight. But that only happened once. Never after that.

FYI, your motherboard will actually work with Zen+ CPUs, as well as Zen+ and Zen APUs. There are just 2 non-OEM Zen APUs, both start with 2000. So look for anything that has a 2000 or a 3000 and you should be good to go. APUs are the best choice(ending in G, like the Ryzen 3200G). That's because then you don't need your graphics card plugged in, so that could save some time with troubleshooting and simplify somethings(even though the GPU isn't broken).
Once I get the mobo back, if the issue isn't resolved even then, I will definitely try my best to find a CPU you mentioned and check the issue.

But is there a chance that the AIO cooler (Corsair h115i RGB Pro) connected to the CPU_FAN is giving incorrect readings? Will this cause the kind of issue I am facing?

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
There are three chassis fan headers on my mobo. The exhaust was running from CHA_FAN3 and the intake was from CHA_FAN1. I did switch the intake to CHA_FAN2 and still didn't work. However it didn't come to my head to connect intake to the working header. I have given the mobo for RMA. Will update you after getting my replacement.

The exhaust fan (connected to CHA_FAN3 header) and the AIO cooler fans (pump connected to CPU_FAN and powered by SATA) are all working. Only the 3 intake fans are not working. And that too, when I press the power button, they do rotate for a second or less and then stop.

This has happened. I have once received "Code 01" after flashing BIOS from USB and clearing CMOS and also "Code 0D" some other time. But next time I restart the PC, it becomes "Code 00". When "Code 00" comes, nothing will happen when you press the Reset button or press and hold power button on mobo. The system has also started and booted once when I kept the PC shut overnight. But that only happened once. Never after that.

Once I get the mobo back, if the issue isn't resolved even then, I will definitely try my best to find a CPU you mentioned and check the issue.

But is there a chance that the AIO cooler (Corsair h115i RGB Pro) connected to the CPU_FAN is giving incorrect readings? Will this cause the kind of issue I am facing?
I've never owned an AIO and don't intend on using one(I don't have any particularly high end hardware). Can't comment on that. If you got to return your motherboard for a new one, then hopefully that works. The fact that it has started up before does point to it being a defective motherboard, since a fried CPU shouldn't just work sometimes and cause the motherboard to give wacky error messages. I think your right that the motherboard is dead. Let's just hope

Jul 22, 2020
Okay. So something different happened today. When I contacted my retailer stating the problem, he asked me to 'close the LN2 mode in ROG extreme option'. I didn't understand what he meant but I just enabled the LN2 jumper on the motherboard. But the system still showed 'code 00'. But I saw a ReTry button next to it. I checked the manual and realised that the 'Reset' button won't work without POST and you have to use this small 'Retry' button to restart the system. I pressed it and YES!! This time the system did POST. I was able to login to windows. I saw the desktop screen and GONE! The system shutdown all of the sudden. After 2 or 3 'Retry', now the system is running. I have not given any load. It's in idle. I will open a game and see if that will shut the PC down or not.
@dchen2105 what do you think?

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Okay. So something different happened today. When I contacted my retailer stating the problem, he asked me to 'close the LN2 mode in ROG extreme option'. I didn't understand what he meant but I just enabled the LN2 jumper on the motherboard. But the system still showed 'code 00'. But I saw a ReTry button next to it. I checked the manual and realised that the 'Reset' button won't work without POST and you have to use this small 'Retry' button to restart the system. I pressed it and YES!! This time the system did POST. I was able to login to windows. I saw the desktop screen and GONE! The system shutdown all of the sudden. After 2 or 3 'Retry', now the system is running. I have not given any load. It's in idle. I will open a game and see if that will shut the PC down or not.
@dchen2105 what do you think?
Seems very odd, maybe neither the CPU or the motherboard are dead? Maybe one has a defect, but could just be that the settings aren't compatible between the CPU and mobo. Search up more details on the setting and what it does, maybe it is just a slight incompatiblity issue.

Very good to hear!