Question Dead CPU or PSU ?

Gamma101

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
Couple of months ago i spilled water on my pc the second time. The first time theres no problem, i immediately turn it off and unplug all cables, then i take everything apart to make sure everything dries. But the second time is different which im not surprised. It instantly shuts off and made a loud tick sound. I did the same exact thing as before and its safe to say the mobo is dead because it only turn on for a second then shuts off with a smell of burnt. I only checked the GPU and it still worked fine. I tried the paper clip trick for the PSU and i got power. Today i ordered the same mobo (MSI B150M) and it turned on, fansworking etc but then couple seconds later it turned off again. The Debug LED flashes on RAM first (pretty normal because it always do that when i boot) then CPU but i just want to make sure if its the CPU or PSU that is dead. Or both.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Couple of months ago i spilled water on my pc the second time.
You might want to breadboard the system and then start working with a spare PSU to rule out your unit being the issue.

Gamma101

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
oops sorry i didnt put this in the thread
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600
Motherboard: MSI B150M Gaming Pro
Ram: Corsair Valueselect DDR4 8GB
SSD/HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
GPU: Asus ROG RX 470 OC
PSU: Corsair VS 550
Chassis: Armageddon T2X
Monitor: BenQ

It is extremely rare for a Intel cpu to fail.
My first suspect would be the PSU.
A failed "paper clip" test can confirm a dead psu, but a successful test says nothing about proper working conditions of the psu,
I would test first with a known good replacement psu

Gamma101

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
It is extremely rare for a Intel cpu to fail.
My first suspect would be the PSU.
A failed "paper clip" test can confirm a dead psu, but a successful test says nothing about proper working conditions of the psu,
I would test first with a known good replacement psu
ah okay i got it thanks for the suggestion