Dead Drive - Data Recovery Possible?

dissembled

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Walked in this morning to a black boot screen with something to the effect "Select boot device to continue". About that time, I noticed the clicking sound. Went into bios and my hard drive is not even recognized. I have some further troubleshooting to do because I didn't have time this morning before work, but the clicking sound is pretty ominous.

I need to remove power from the drive and confirm the source of the clicking. I will change which SATA port I have the drive plugged into to make sure that's not the issue. I also have a second rig I can put it to see if it can be recognized there.

That all failing, is it possible to recover the data off a drive if it's not even able to be recognized? Is this a major undertaking to do or is it no big deal? If I send this somewhere to have done, does anyone have any idea what a ballpark number is for what they would charge me?

Samsung Spinpoint F3 (two weeks old)

Thanks

Solution
if the drive is not being recognize in the bios but spins up,goto a data recovery technician
no amount of software recovery can recover your data if it cannot be seen in the bios.

isolate the problem(probably the PCB) and swap it with the same one, to get the drive recognize and then use a recovery software.
if the drive is not being recognize in the bios but spins up,goto a data recovery technician
no amount of software recovery can recover your data if it cannot be seen in the bios.

isolate the problem(probably the PCB) and swap it with the same one, to get the drive recognize and then use a recovery software.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS