dead drive?

G

I purchased a Quantum Atlas V SCSI drive a year ago. I do not use the computer with this drive very often. The drive is cooled with bezel fans.

Last night, the computer froze, and when I rebooted, the drive would try to spin, and every 2 or 3 seconds, it would make a loud click sound.

Ofcourse, I have important data that is not backed-up

Is there anything I can try?

Is there a reputable place I can take the drive to have the data recovered?

Thanks!

dewey

G

Well needless to say DO NOT turn the computer on again with the same drive in it. Unfortunetly the drive is going to have to be sent to a clean room. Nine times out of ten it's the manufacturer, but since Quantum is no longer. You are in some deep Sh, well you know. Maxtor has taken over Quantum inventory and servicing, but I don't know if they want to bother with those types of HD issues on Quantums behalf. The next place I would say to send it is called Ontrack. They make software utilities for data recovery and they offer data recovery services if you send them your Hard drive. The only thing is it is gonna cost you BIG. You can expect at least a $400 sevice fee from any company that knows what to do. I would not take it to your local PC shop, unless they also run your local Mailbox Etc., US Postal, UPS, Fed Ex or somethin'. I hate you have to go through this but you have to backup what's important. Hope this helps.

A teacher without peer, yet a student of great discipline.