Dead Gateway 600 YGR

I have a two year old Gateway 600 YGR laptop that is dead. I went
through months of online t-shoooting with the gateway techs and finally
sent it to be repaired. To make a long story short Gateway sent it back
not repaired due to evidence of a liquid spill. They said it required a
motherboard replacement and would cost $650.00.
The motherboard is a 31YAIMB0018, and I have found a few on ebay
starting at $280.00. I would like to verify somehow that I do actually
require a motherboard before spending $280.00. I attemped to take the
machine apart to possibly identify the problem, didn't know what I was
doing and chickend out.
Does anyone know where to find a repair manual or disassembly /
assembly instuctions? I haven't found anything on the Gateway site
except how to remove the keyboard.
Any t-shooting advice would also be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

--
Gweedness

Gweedness wrote:
> I have a two year old Gateway 600 YGR laptop that is dead. I went
> through months of online t-shoooting with the gateway techs and finally
> sent it to be repaired. To make a long story short Gateway sent it back
> not repaired due to evidence of a liquid spill. They said it required a
> motherboard replacement and would cost $650.00.
> The motherboard is a 31YAIMB0018, and I have found a few on ebay
> starting at $280.00. I would like to verify somehow that I do actually
> require a motherboard before spending $280.00. I attemped to take the
> machine apart to possibly identify the problem, didn't know what I was
> doing and chickend out.
> Does anyone know where to find a repair manual or disassembly /
> assembly instuctions? I haven't found anything on the Gateway site
> except how to remove the keyboard.
> Any t-shooting advice would also be greatly appreciated.
> Cheers,

Gweedness,

While I've never worked with your specific model, most laptops are
opened by clicking back little sliding closures that are located between
the first row of keys. A pencil erasure is my tool of choice. Once you
remove that, you'll have access to the motherboard and should be able to
assess any damage that might have resulted from the spill. I could
easily be the case that the gooey residue is shorting out the board.
Removing it with electronic cleaner may fix your problem. Laptops are
like any other appliance, the only trick is to make sure you put it back
together the right way.

Good luck

It's difficult to say without a lot of parts swapping, whether the
mainboard is the problem - or the sole problem, so you're going to be
taking your chances.

I don't think Gateway publishes parts manuals - look on the bottom of
the system for screws marked "K" - these usually retain the keyboard,
which must be removed to access the innards in most cases.

Gweedness wrote:
> I have a two year old Gateway 600 YGR laptop that is dead. I went
> through months of online t-shoooting with the gateway techs and finally
> sent it to be repaired. To make a long story short Gateway sent it back
> not repaired due to evidence of a liquid spill. They said it required a
> motherboard replacement and would cost $650.00.
> The motherboard is a 31YAIMB0018, and I have found a few on ebay
> starting at $280.00. I would like to verify somehow that I do actually
> require a motherboard before spending $280.00. I attemped to take the
> machine apart to possibly identify the problem, didn't know what I was
> doing and chickend out.
> Does anyone know where to find a repair manual or disassembly /
> assembly instuctions? I haven't found anything on the Gateway site
> except how to remove the keyboard.
> Any t-shooting advice would also be greatly appreciated.
> Cheers,

TRENDING THREADS