Question Dead GPU? Black screens Fans 100%

Oct 5, 2021
Hello everyone

For more than a year now I've been troubleshooting on and off a GTX 1070 FTW card. When i first got it i had no problems and now very weird ones. I started with a random black screen while gaming, but i could still hear the audio, and the GPU fans went to max speed. Only a hard reset would fix the issue 9 out of 10 times. Other times the monitor would turn a solid color than resolve itself. I looked into Event viewer to see this error had occurred (Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding ). So naturally I thought the drivers were bad and i used DDU to wipe and install new drivers. While I had some success on limiting the time it took for the crash to occur, with different drivers than the ones i used originally, the crash kept happening and now the different drivers don't help at all. Sometimes i wont even get a display when i restart the PC after crashing. Just to be clear i currently use my old GPU and it works fine, it is also an nvidia GPU. Another strange thing i noticed is i seem to have better luck when i dont have my peripherals plugged into the PC. Sometimes after restart the PC would turn on, including LEDs on the card but the keyboard and mouse would not turn on (the LEDs). I am stumped, and i have limited knowledge when it comes to troubleshooting PCs.

Below are the troubleshooting methods I've used to try and fix this after looking at other threads on the issue.

-Reapply thermal paste
-Tested in different PSU and MOBO
-Clean wipe drivers
-Tried different drivers
-reseating GPU
-Tried different GPU slot on mobo
-I took off back plate and cleaned any surface i could with a cotton swab
-Checked thermal pads

Everything under the heatsink on the PCB visually looked ok, nothing burnt out or damaged looking. The only thing i saw was after taking off the backplate, the thermal pad adhesive was all over the back of the PCB. I know the adhesive is not suppose to damage the card but it is everywhere and I'm assuming its the original pads from 2016 when the card was originally purchased (i purchased it used, but was in great and working condition when received). I tried to remove as much of the adhesive as i could but it is obviously very sticky and i don't have any isopropyl alcohol on hand. Any help would be appreciated. with todays GPU market I would have to spend upwards of $500 for a new GPU that could give me the same performance as this 1070. I need all the help i can get at this point.

TRENDING THREADS