Dec 21, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hello guys I’ve been in the pc world for 2 years now this is my 5th gpu and 2nd psu

I have a ryzen 5 1600 16gb ram and I sold my 660 ti and bought a 780 ti I’m working condition the guy I bought it from has been very helpful but he sent me a video of it working before he shipped it and the scratches on the card are the same so it’s the same exact gpu.

He said he had trouble getting it to display before he sent it but he switched the psu from a thermaltake 600w to a Corsair 750w and it worked

get this I have a thermal take 600w and I’m having trouble getting it to display 600w should be plenty for this card and I have a 660 ti that works on it when.

I plug the 780 ti and boot it acts normal the screens turn on that black color and my peripherals turn on but nothing happens on the screen if I leave it the screen goes black and I can move the mouse and it comes on like it was asleep I have already sold my 660 ti and I would like to try to fix the 780 ti.
Full specs:
Asus prime b450 ma 2
Crucial ballistix 16 ddr4 dual channel 3200mhz rgb
Ryzen 5 1600
EVGA gtx 780 ti SC ACX
Adata 240gb ssd
Windows 10 64 bit
Psu is thermal take smart series 600w coming up on a year old and is in good condition

Nothing is overclocked right now but I would like to overclock the 780 if it works
I play games like cod and IL-2 Bos on this system.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021
Hello guys I’ve been in the pc world for 2 years now this is my 5th gpu and 2nd psu I have a ryzen 5 1600 16gb ram and I sold my 660 ti and bought a 780 ti I’m working condition the guy I bought it from has been very helpful but he sent me a video of it working before he shipped it and the scratches on the card are the same so it’s the same exact gpu. He said he had trouble getting it to display before he sent it but he switched the psu from a thermaltake 600w to a Corsair 750w and it worked get this I have a thermal take 600w and I’m having trouble getting it to display 600w should be plenty for this card and I have a 660 ti that works on it when. I plug the 780 ti and boot it acts normal the screens turn on that black color and my peripherals turn on but nothing happens on the screen if I leave it the screen goes black and I can move the mouse and it comes on like it was asleep I have already sold my 660 ti and I would like to try to fix the 780 ti.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 780Ti is a much more power-hungry card than the 660Ti.

That said, what is the brand and EXACT model of your existing PSU. You said the seller had a Thermaltake 600w, and a Corsair 750w fixed things for him. But you didn't say what your PSU is.

It's not just about the wattage, but about the quality of the PSU model in question. Even among reputable brands, there are a couple of models that are stinkers.

I mean, there's also the possibility that the GPU is temperamental, and that the GPU is only good enough to manage through the demo he did, but one thing at a time . . first, what's YOUR PSU's exact brand and model number?

Dec 21, 2021

That said, what is the brand and EXACT model of your existing PSU. You said the seller had a Thermaltake 600w, and a Corsair 750w fixed things for him. But you didn't say what your PSU is.

It's not just about the wattage, but about the quality of the PSU model in question. Even among reputable brands, there are a couple of models that are stinkers.

I mean, there's also the possibility that the GPU is temperamental, and that the GPU is only good enough to manage through the demo he did, but one thing at a time . . first, what's YOUR PSU's exact brand and model number?
I have a thermal take smart 600w

Dec 21, 2021

I’m sorry I’m having trouble finding the model number where should I look?

Dec 21, 2021

The part number is PS-SPD-0600NPCWUS-W I don’t know if that is what you needed but I cannot find the model number but that should work. Right?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How do you use the GPUs and PSUs? Heavy gaming, video editing, bit-mining?

Overclocking anything?

PSUs: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

GPUs: make model, age, condition (new, refurbished, used)?

Will the GPU seller accept a return of the 780 ti?

Dec 21, 2021

Overclocking anything?

Ok will do right now

Dec 21, 2021

Overclocking anything?

I’m pretty sure he will send me half of my money and then the insurance for the shipping I can’t remember if that is exactly what he said but we have been in touch.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't know if the PSU itself is the problem, but, while the Thermaltake Toughpower PSUs are pretty good, the Thermaltake Smart PSUs are not.

According to one of my references:
The Thermaltake TR2 and Litepower series, even the newer revisions, should probably just be avoided altogether, along with the Smart series units, which are simply not good choices for use with gaming systems. If you want to use a Smart series unit with your internet browsing machine or some kind of low powered office box, it's probably ok. Although I'd recommend avoiding them, the Smart series units might be the best available units in some regions. That should not be mistaken for the idea that they are quality units though.

And the PSU Tier List puts it at tier C or tier D. If this is the one you have, then it's not even Bronze efficiency, and produces 504W on the 12V rail (ergo, for all intents and purposes, it's a 504W PSU). I'm actually surprised it shows a 5 year warranty.

Again, I want to stress that I'm not saying for certainty that the PSU is the problem, but that's probably not a PSU I'd trust on a system I care about.

Dec 21, 2021
I don't know if the PSU itself is the problem, but, while the Thermaltake Toughpower PSUs are pretty good, the Thermaltake Smart PSUs are not.

And the PSU Tier List puts it at tier C or tier D. If this is the one you have, then it's not even Bronze efficiency, and produces 504W on the 12V rail (ergo, for all intents and purposes, it's a 504W PSU). I'm actually surprised it shows a 5 year warranty.

Again, I want to stress that I'm not saying for certainty that the PSU is the problem, but that's probably not a PSU I'd trust on a system I care about.
What psu would you recommend? I don’t know much about the Power supply’s the seller is offering to trade me a r9 270 or quaddro m4000 back for the gpu.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Any of the first two tiers in the tier list in our Power Supplies forum would be fine.

Swapping a 780 Ti for an R9 270 or M4000 would be a terrible swap for you. The 780 Ti is much more powerful. An R9 270 is actually slower than your 660 Ti typically.

Reactions: King_V
Dec 21, 2021

You would change psu even if you are not sure it would work with a new psu I unplugged all my fans even cpu only the mobo cpu ssd keyboard mouse and gpu had power and still nothing. The reason I got a smart series is because it was cheaper new but still looked good (stats wise) I only really want to spend up to $70 and that would have to be nice I was looking at a corsair cx750m CP-9020061-NA. I will look for it on the psu teir list I can get it for $54 US certified refurbished.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You would change psu even if you are not sure it would work with a new psu I unplugged all my fans even cpu only the mobo cpu ssd keyboard mouse and gpu had power and still nothing. The reason I got a smart series is because it was cheaper new but still looked good (stats wise) I only really want to spend up to $70 and that would have to be nice I was looking at a corsair cx750m CP-9020061-NA. I will look for it on the psu teir list I can get it for $54 US certified refurbished.

Who is "certifying" this "refurbished" PSU?

And if it's a fictional refurbished instead of an actual one, it's a used PSU, not a new one, and you shouldn't be purchasing it.

Let's not forget that you're in the position where you have to buy another PSU because you cut corners and bought cheap junk in the first place. Buy a good PSU once instead of a low-quality or used PSU repeatedly.

Dec 21, 2021

And if it's a fictional refurbished instead of an actual one, it's a used PSU, not a new one, and you shouldn't be purchasing it.

Let's not forget that you're in the position where you have to buy another PSU because you cut corners and bought cheap junk in the first place. Buy a good PSU once instead of a low-quality or used PSU repeatedly.
I don’t have the money to buy a brand new and nice psu right now I could get a used good one or a new bad one like I have but I wouldn’t call mine junk I had one last year that worked for a year and something shorted somewhere it restarted multiple times til I unplugged everything and then it wouldn’t boot but everything was good except the psu they gave me a new one and have been good ever since. The title and description say certified but then I read the actual selection which states seller refurbished on the Corsair.

Dec 21, 2021

I only want to buy another psu if the 780 ti will work with it but If it won’t I will probably keep mine. I’ve spent all my extra money on my boat so I can’t really buy a nice one right now.

Dec 21, 2021

Well if the Corsair cx750m is a good psu I can get a new one for $74 on Amazon which I’d be okay with spending.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I only want to buy another psu if the 780 ti will work with it but If it won’t I will probably keep mine. I’ve spent all my extra money on my boat so I can’t really buy a nice one right now.
If you have any friends in real life who have computers at home with better PSU, ask them to let you test your GPU in their computers. If you don't have such friends, my last suggestion would be to go to nearby local computer shops and explain them your current situation and ask them to test this GPU if it's faulty or no. Usually they don't take money from you for that, but if they do, it won't be expensive. I think it's worth to try to find out if this GPU is working with better PSU, before throwing money for new PSU and have the same problem with that card.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Yes. Because, while I don't know if the root of my problem is the PSU, I do know that the Thermaltake Smart is just not a good quality PSU. It might or might not be causing the current problems, but it is one that I would not be comfortable trusting.

A good quality PSU will deliver clean power and protect your system. A bad quality PSU can cause problems. A good one, if something goes wrong, might die, but will protect the rest of your system. A bad one, if something goes wrong, might die and take out other components with it.

The PSU is a safety device. Cutting corners on the PSU puts the rest of your system at risk.

The first two links in my signature are my "go to" for PSU recommendations. The PSU Tier list is also worth checking.

Where are you located? Availability of the better models can vary by country.

Dec 21, 2021
If you have any friends in real life who have computers at home with better PSU, ask them to let you test your GPU in their computers. If you don't have such friends, my last suggestion would be to go to nearby local computer shops and explain them your current situation and ask them to test this GPU if it's faulty or no. Usually they don't take money from you for that, but if they do, it won't be expensive. I think it's worth to try to find out if this GPU is working with better PSU, before throwing money for new PSU and have the same problem with that card.
I have been trying to find a store that would be able to test it but none of the local ones will let me take my gpu they all want me to bring my whole pc in which will cost just about as Much as just ordering a psu some of my friends have pc yes and they have similar performance to mine or better but they are new so they are more efficient and don’t need as high psu they have low quality and low watt psu as they are also prebuilts. The highest watt/quality psu I have access to is my cousins and he has the same kind as me just newer. I live in Alabama king_v.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I have been trying to find a store that would be able to test it but none of the local ones will let me take my gpu they all want me to bring my whole pc in which will cost just about as Much as just ordering a psu some of my friends have pc yes and they have similar performance to mine or better but they are new so they are more efficient and don’t need as high psu they have low quality and low watt psu as they are also prebuilts. The highest watt/quality psu I have access to is my cousins and he has the same kind as me just newer. I live in Alabama king_v.
I'm curious why it will cost you so much to bring the PC to them. They want to charge you with high price or because they are located far away and high price will be because of road cost?

if I leave it the screen goes black and I can move the mouse and it comes on like it was asleep
So - you have video signal on screen, since mouse cursor is visible. Right?
Your monitor acts as secondary screen. Main screen is probably being sent to a different video output.

Try connecting your monitor to a different video output on your graphics card.
From specs of your card - it has 2x DVI, HDMI and DP outputs. Try all of them.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021
I'm curious why it will cost you so much to bring the PC to them. They want to charge you with high price or because they are located far away and high price will be because of road cost?
The price isn’t bad if I didn’t have it narrowed down to 2 components. They want $45 and I’d rather grab a Corsair psu I found on sale for $60 that will tell me what I need to know and have a psu for just $15 more. They will not just test the gpu for me. They aren’t a bad drive only about 20 minutes.

Dec 21, 2021
So - you have video signal on screen, since mouse cursor is visible. Right?
Your monitor acts as secondary screen. Main screen is probably being sent to a different video output.

Try connecting your monitor to a different video output on your graphics card.
From specs of your card - it has 2x DVI, HDMI and DP outputs. Try all of them.
I wish it was this I thought this at first but I can not see cursor. Sorry if I mad it sound like I could. I have already tried all outputs. I’m thinking of ordering the Corsair cx750m as I found it on sale and If it still doesn’t work I will try to get the quaddro m4000 and some money back. I will replace thermal paste with noctua and also place an extra fan on it and hopefully that takes care of cooling it it is very close to a 970 except for clockspeed which is why I will be overclocking it. Not to mention the 8gb vram which I probably won’t even use 60% lol.if it works with the Corsair I will be happy And keep the 780 ti. I unplugged the gpu fans and the heat sink never got warm and I immediately took it apart and felt chip also cold this could be lack of power or totally dead gpu but it is sending a black display.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
The price isn’t bad if I didn’t have it narrowed down to 2 components. They want $45 and I’d rather grab a Corsair psu I found on sale for $60 that will tell me what I need to know and have a psu for just $15 more. They will not just test the gpu for me. They aren’t a bad drive only about 20 minutes.
Wow, that really sucks. If you were here, they would test it for free I'm sure. I had problems few times and used local stores and they neved asked me for money. Like, I remember when my new CPU arrived from Amazon and when I installed it in my computer, I didn't have a display, but fans were spinning. I couldn't figure out what was the problem, so I decided to take it to some local PC store. They checked it and seems like I have bent legs of CPU when I put it in the motherboard socket. These guys fixed those bent legs and told me that I was lucky. It was an expensive CPU too by that time (i7 3770k). I asked them how much I needed to pay. They said, "it's fine man, it wasn't something big, no need to pay, just be careful next time when installing CPU in the socket". I said I will and thanked them.

I think it also depends on the shop and depends what you're asking. If it's something small and if the shop is small from few guys, you have big chance they will do it for free, but if it's a major problem and if it's a big PC company, then probably they will ask for money.

Anyway, I think in this case, I guess, it's better to get a new PSU and test it yourself. I wish you good luck.