[SOLVED] Dead gpu, worried about motherboard

Nov 7, 2018
While playing a game my display cut out. There was a click from inside the case, black screen. There was still sound both from the game and the windows sound denoting disconnecting/reconnecting hardware. I removed and thoroughly dusted the card, tried both pcie slots, no display. The PC boots because I can hear the startup sound. I'm pretty sure the card is dead but also am worried about the motherboard. It's an evga GTX 980 SC, 4 years old. The led on the card comes on and the fans start and stop repeatedly. Discrete only, no onboard.

Thanks

Solution
Possible yes, but highly unlikely the dying card hurt the rest of the PC. Nvidia and AMD have built-in safety features to ensure that doesn't happen... under normal use.
Now on the other hand, if it is the PC's chipset or some other PC component that failed... then who knows. Best to find another card and test. Have you tried the suspected card again since the system has time to cool? The 'click' you mention could be a temp or current OL tripping. Might just need time to reset.

Lastly, are you sure that the sound came from inside the PC and not the monitor? One of my monitors does that occasionally... 'click' and go off for a few seconds.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Possible yes, but highly unlikely the dying card hurt the rest of the PC. Nvidia and AMD have built-in safety features to ensure that doesn't happen... under normal use.
Now on the other hand, if it is the PC's chipset or some other PC component that failed... then who knows. Best to find another card and test. Have you tried the suspected card again since the system has time to cool? The 'click' you mention could be a temp or current OL tripping. Might just need time to reset.

Lastly, are you sure that the sound came from inside the PC and not the monitor? One of my monitors does that occasionally... 'click' and go off for a few seconds.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, pick yourself up a cheap GPU to test with or borrow one to confirm the PCIe slots still work along with the rest of the computer.

I like to keep spares around just for that. Cheap GT210 you can get new, but you might look through thrift stores for cheap computers.