Question Dead Graphics Card?

Jun 8, 2019
Hello,
I hope someone can help me here!
So today I bought an new CPU, Mainboard and Ram. (Ryzen 5 2600X, 16GB Ram, Msi B450 Tomahawk). I build everything together, used my ssd and my Graphics Cars (msi r9 380 4g gaming). And ... everything WORKED!
I started Rainbow Six Siege to see some performance. Everything was greats, until ~5 minutes into the game my screen went green. The second screen just black.
I took a look into my case and saw the VGA Led on the Mainboard (Not detected/not working GPU). I had this issue when I forgot the Pcie Power Connectors on my card. But that’s wasn’t the case.
So I check everything (including putting the card on another Mainboard, running an old GPU on my new Board.
Im not able to get my card to work. The MSi logo light ups, no fans are spinning and after ~3 hours the card didn’t got warm. What do u think? Is there any way to check the Pcie Power connector on the PSU and card end? Would be nice if it’s only the PSU and not my card.

Maybe someone can help me. Thanks 4 everything!

Jun 8, 2019
What's the make and Model number of your PSU though ?
It’s an pretty basic one:
Thermaltake 630W Berlin
thermaltake-berlin-630w.jpg

Jun 8, 2019
What's the make and Model number of your PSU though ? Your GPU requires two 6-pin PCI-e/PEG connectors. Try to CLEAR and reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to factory default, if need be.
I don’t think it’s the board. Same issue on another board. And I’m sure the board config is working for like 2+ years

It’s an pretty basic one:
Thermaltake 630W Berlin

I think that's not a very good PSU, honestly speaking. Many have complained about this particular model from Thermaltake, and they have categorized this PSU with the TR2 series of power supplies from TK, which are of very poor quality/low-end. I could be wrong though....

I don’t think it’s the board. Same issue on another board. And I’m sure the board config is working for like 2+ years

I didn't say the board is the culprit here. Was just suggesting to reset the BIOS settings, re-connect every component properly, and then try powering on the PC.

Jun 8, 2019
I didn't say the board is the culprit here. Was just suggesting to reset the BIOS settings, re-connect every component properly, and then try powering on the PC.
Okay, yeah. I unplugged everything but the GPU and the essentials. Nothing works. I’m still having the same results.

I think that's not a very good PSU. Many have complained about this particular model from Thermaltake, and they have categorized this PSU with the TR2 series of power supplies from TK, which are of very poor quality/low-end. Though, I'm not fully sure.
Yeah it’s pretty much just the basic. But I was running it for like 2+ years without any problems.

Big coincidence that the GPU breaks after upgrading. I’m confused and don’t know what to do. I actually don’t want to buy a new GPU, but from the current point of things that’s what’s going to happend

I had this issue when I forgot the Pcie Power Connectors on my card. But that’s wasn’t the case.
So I check everything (including putting the card on another Mainboard, running an old GPU on my new Board.

Which OLD GPU are you talking about ? The r9 380, or some other model ? But you should definitely replace/change that PSU as well. Don't overlook or skimp on the PSU, since this is the MOST important component. I can't stress this enough. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget/low quality PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system

Im not able to get my card to work.

Which card, old or the new one ?

Jun 8, 2019
Which OLD GPU are you talking about ? The r9 380, or some other model ? But you should definitely replace/change that PSU as well. Don't overlook or skimp on the PSU, since this is the MOST important component. I can't stress this enough.
The r9 isn’t working, my HD 5570 is working just fine. Taking a look at new PSU ASAP. But would love to get an solution over the long weekend (in Germany, shops closed). Going to check if I’m able to find another PSU which I could try out. Maybe it’s just that.

Which card, old or the new one ?
I don’t have a new card, just my r9 380. But it’s the newer of both (r9 380 -> doesn’t work and hd 5570 -> does work)

Reactions: Metal Messiah.