tuckertheguy12

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
I recently came into possession of a non-working GTX 590, you know the deal no video but fan spins. Visually the card is great however it's pretty clear it's been taken apart before due to how easy the screws came out, a few heads were almost stripped, and it looks as if the BIOS sticker has been cooked, most likely from a little oven adventure. Anyways my question is this, upon testing this card myself I have discovered that upon trying to post with the gpu installed the two cores do not war up at all but the chipset on the card skyrockets in temp instantly. Any ideas what specific issue this can be? I've fixed a few graphics cards now but usually if the die isn't warming that's been the defeating sign for me but I'm hoping that because the chipset is heating up there's some life left in this thing.

I attached some pictures of the PCB

View: https://imgur.com/a/nyofjl0

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Why is that one cap on the back of the GPU different from the rest? I would take a close look for a previous repair attempt.

Other than that, not much advice. Not really sure even a 590 for 580 is worth bringing back. 1.5GB per GPU, just not enough these days, only DX11, out of driver support (I vaguely recall that it supports DX12's first revision, but that isn't a lot of games) (I used to have a pair of GTX580 DCUII)

tuckertheguy12

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
If you are referring to the 1 black one where the other 3 on the back are silver and the other 4 on the opposing die are also silver that is actually the spec according to official pcb pictures of the card. And I don't intend on reviving this for my personal system I really bought it just as a show price but I would like it to be functional as well because why not and tinkering with this stuff is fun. Plus some old games that support sli would be a nostalgic experience.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If it were a single GPU card and the issue seemed to be the power side, that would be one thing. You could hack on another power stage if you really wanted to, wouldn't be much of a show piece, more experiment at that point. If that SLI bridge chip isn't functional, that isn't really something that can be fixed. Transplanting a working chip from another card is an option, but that is some serious soldering.

tuckertheguy12

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
If it were a single GPU card and the issue seemed to be the power side, that would be one thing. You could hack on another power stage if you really wanted to, wouldn't be much of a show piece, more experiment at that point. If that SLI bridge chip isn't functional, that isn't really something that can be fixed. Transplanting a working chip from another card is an option, but that is some serious soldering.
I have only ever removed a graphics chip with no intent of reattaching it. I definitely don't have the tools to do BGA work and based on the coolers poor cooling of the sli chip onboard I wouldn't be surprised if it was dead, but I'm leaning towards there might be a short somewhere just slamming current into it hence why it gets hot so fast but the gpus dont even warm up.

You mention the lose screws ect . are they all the correct length screws?
If the screws are tighter too far the card won't post. Balancing pressure can be tricky with two gpu on the same oard.

Try them all snug not tighter down completely.

Last edited:

tuckertheguy12

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
You mention the lose screws ect . are they all the correct length screws?
If the screws are tighter too far the card won't post. Balancing pressure can be tricky with two gpu on the same oard.

Try them all snug not tighter down completely.
The car doesn't post with the cooler absent, no screws at all. And they are all the correct screws and none are missing.