Dead Hard Drive, Windows Won't Allow Uninstall/Reinstall on New Drive

Feb 15, 2018
Issue in a Nutshell: I want to reinstall the Epic Games Launcher for Fortnite, but it was on a hard drive that died, so now it registers a current copy (on the dead drive) and won't let me change anything. The uninstaller was also on the hard drive, so I can't uninstall or repair.
This is just an example, it's been happening with dozens of programs that were on my bulk drive.

Setup:
i7-7700K
Galax GTX 970
Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Motherboard
8GB DDR4
Windows 10 on 128GB M.2 SSD "C:\"
"Bulky" programs like Autodesk Inventor, Fortnite, Arma, and Lightworks installed on a 500GB SATA III HDD. "F:\" (currently unplugged and hella dead)

Longer version:
So due to a flakey Kentek power supply, I have killed 3 hard drives.
After the first two died I reinstalled Windows 10 fresh on my M.2, wiping it, but I'd rather no go down that road since my 500GB died and I just connected the dots with the assistance of a multimeter. I have a new PSU and a 1TB drive, but Windows is still holding on to the old pathways to the F:\ Drive and will not let me reinstall software, claiming a version is already installed. Since most of the uninstallers and stuff were on the HDD that died, I cannot change them.

I've run CCleaner Free and attempted to run through REGEDIT, but I can't make heads or tails of it to get these pieces of software to reinstall.

Anyone run into this issue before?

Solution
Time to go all the way back to Step 0, and reinstall everything, starting with the OS.
Everything.
"I'd rather no go down that road" doesn't count.

There is no easy way to "fix" the current situation.
Applications installed on a different drive would need to be reinstalled with a new OS anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
Time to go all the way back to Step 0, and reinstall everything, starting with the OS.
Everything.
"I'd rather no go down that road" doesn't count.

There is no easy way to "fix" the current situation.
Applications installed on a different drive would need to be reinstalled with a new OS anyway.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS