[SOLVED] Dead HDD?

Nov 23, 2019
Hello,
Few days ago my girlfriends pc refused to boot saying "Reboot and select proper boot device". The HDD is still recognized in BIOS but when booting from a windows-usbstick diskpart tells me its empty. After that i tried booting from a stick with ubuntu where it also showed under "disks", but gparted gave me "Input/Output error". The same error occured when i tried to mount it from terminal. The last thing i tried was sticking it in a dockingstation connected to my own pc, where it did not even spin up. So now i am wondering how it is possible that it shows in BIOS/linux/diskpart, but doesnt spin in the dockingstation? Do you have any ideas what else i could try to recover the data or is it a hardware failure and nothing i can do anymore? Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited:
Solution
A docking station may not have enough power to spin it up or just some other reason (I've got one that does this--annoying--even when the drive is good).

I would try putting it in another system, but it does sound like it is not working correctly, but mainly from a circuit board issue vs the actual drive so a data recovery place might be able to easily get the data back by repairing the board.
A docking station may not have enough power to spin it up or just some other reason (I've got one that does this--annoying--even when the drive is good).

I would try putting it in another system, but it does sound like it is not working correctly, but mainly from a circuit board issue vs the actual drive so a data recovery place might be able to easily get the data back by repairing the board.

Solution
This model was plagued with reliability problems. IIRC, it is a member of the same family as the 3TB model which was the subject of a recent law suit.

What do you mean when you say that you "tried to mount it from terminal"? Are you referring to the drive's serial diagnostic port?