[SOLVED] DEAD Intel i7 3770 CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SamirD

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Can't you just share any ideas you got, that we may not know to help fix it?
Nothing different than what has already been suggested really--try it in another system that is currently working. I know my 3770k works and the exact setup under which it works and I've dealt with marginal cpus before that have had some sort of issue, so I have a hunch it's not bad or I can save it.

One thing I would look at that I have seen before is check the corners of the cpu to see if they are bent. I've seen this on an i3-2120 that was acting funny (very similar scenario to yours), and one of the corners was bent upwards. I don't think the chip is completely bad, but it would do a boot loop after getting past the bios. And later would power off 2 seconds after power on--the fans would barely get up to speed. :( I ended up replacing it with an i5-2500k.

jaybarillo

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
Nothing different than what has already been suggested really--try it in another system that is currently working. I know my 3770k works and the exact setup under which it works and I've dealt with marginal cpus before that have had some sort of issue, so I have a hunch it's not bad or I can save it.

One thing I would look at that I have seen before is check the corners of the cpu to see if they are bent. I've seen this on an i3-2120 that was acting funny (very similar scenario to yours), and one of the corners was bent upwards. I don't think the chip is completely bad, but it would do a boot loop after getting past the bios. And later would power off 2 seconds after power on--the fans would barely get up to speed. :( I ended up replacing it with an i5-2500k.
Upon looking on the i7 3770, I see no bent corner.

But my old (not working) g630 has some bent on its upper right corner.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS