[SOLVED] Dead Mainboard (?) killed two PSUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Hello,
This is my first thread here on Tom's hardware.
Today I got an awesome deal for a not working PC, here are some of the main specs:
Xeon X3430
Lga 1156 Mainboard Gigabyte
16 GB RAM

The problem with the rig was that it would just cycle, trying to post with no beeps whatsoever. I suspected the PSU straightaway. But before testing, I took out the mobo with cpu and ram and checked for things that look wrong. After getting the Cpu out I saw that many of the Mainboards cpu socket pins were bent. So I bent them back easily in a few minutes and thought it was done. I hooked up the Mainboard Cpu ram combo to the psu, without any graphics card, just to see if it will post.

But to my surprise the fans didn't even spin for a moment. There was a fraction of a second in which the light of Mainboard and fans came on, but then It would immediately go off again.

Since I couldn't say if the PSU was already fried I took my working psu from another project (Antec Current Gamer 520w) and hooked up the whole setup of Mainboard ram and cpu

And then I was shocked - the same thing happened on the different PSU that I know was working. Did I just fry my PSU with a (dead?) Mainboard??? I immediately reversed everything and tested the other project pc like it was before, with original Mainboard etc.
The same error.
I noticed that if I keep the pwr switch pins shorted on the mobo it would just blink and blink forever without turning on.

What did just happen?!
I don't have any idea of what to do next about the once working PSU :(

I then looked deeper on the Cpu pins of the bad Mainboard and it turned out a pin was missing or just very short.
That explained why it still didn't want to start but I can't explain what just happened to my PSU...

Any suggestions?
I really don't want to have this PSU end in the trash because of this damn Mainboard :(

I can replace the Mainboard with a 20 dollar one from ebay and flip the whole pc, but could it be that the cpu died as well?

I am totally confused at this point

Thank you so much for your help

TokyoSushiLlama

Prominent
Jan 29, 2020
Hello,
This is my first thread here on Tom's hardware.
Today I got an awesome deal for a not working PC, here are some of the main specs:
Xeon X3430
Lga 1156 Mainboard Gigabyte
16 GB RAM

The problem with the rig was that it would just cycle, trying to post with no beeps whatsoever. I suspected the PSU straightaway. But before testing, I took out the mobo with cpu and ram and checked for things that look wrong. After getting the Cpu out I saw that many of the Mainboards cpu socket pins were bent. So I bent them back easily in a few minutes and thought it was done. I hooked up the Mainboard Cpu ram combo to the psu, without any graphics card, just to see if it will post.

But to my surprise the fans didn't even spin for a moment. There was a fraction of a second in which the light of Mainboard and fans came on, but then It would immediately go off again.

Since I couldn't say if the PSU was already fried I took my working psu from another project (Antec Current Gamer 520w) and hooked up the whole setup of Mainboard ram and cpu

And then I was shocked - the same thing happened on the different PSU that I know was working. Did I just fry my PSU with a (dead?) Mainboard??? I immediately reversed everything and tested the other project pc like it was before, with original Mainboard etc.
The same error.
I noticed that if I keep the pwr switch pins shorted on the mobo it would just blink and blink forever without turning on.

What did just happen?!
I don't have any idea of what to do next about the once working PSU :(

I then looked deeper on the Cpu pins of the bad Mainboard and it turned out a pin was missing or just very short.
That explained why it still didn't want to start but I can't explain what just happened to my PSU...

Any suggestions?
I really don't want to have this PSU end in the trash because of this damn Mainboard :(

I can replace the Mainboard with a 20 dollar one from ebay and flip the whole pc, but could it be that the cpu died as well?

I am totally confused at this point

Thank you so much for your help
I can hear 3 fast "ticks" like a clock makes when I push the power button coming from my once working psu

The fans get a small impulse and the leds say hello for a moment, then just goes off. No spinning of the fans, just a quick Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.